My life turning upside down

Urvi's P.O.V.

I walked into the colony broken and hurt. I just didn't have the courage to hide my sorrow from Maa today. If she sees me like this, she too will be so broken. My tears dried up in my eyes and my steps were slow and staggering. I entered the colony to see an ambulance parked downstairs. I didn't pay attention to it as I was only concerned about my broken heart. I walked upstairs and saw my neighbours gathered outside of my house and stopped. My heart began to beat fast. Then, my fear became true. Maa was being brought out of the house on a stretcher with an oxygen mask on her face and she was unconscious. I ran up to her and began to frantically shake her. The ambulance drivers were rushing her and Sarita and Anand were behind. I went to them and asked while running down the stairs, "What happened to Maa?" Anand said hurriedly, "We will tell you later. First we need to rush her to the hospital." I was about to sit inside the ambulance with her when they said that nobody can enter and we must find an alternative to come. The three of us ran out of the colony and caught a cab and rushed to the hospital. When we reached, they were taking her out of the ambulance. We ran up to it and they placed her on a rolling stretcher and ran into the I.C.U. We were instructed to remain outside. We looked through the circle see-through glass on the door as the doctors were examining her. I stepped back with another shock and sat on the bench outside the room. Anand and Sarita came and sat besides me. Between my sobs, I managed to ask them, "How did this happen?" Anand began to speak, "When we were going upstairs to eat, we saw her on the ground unconscious and called the ambulance immediately. We don't know how this happened." I began to cry and curse myself, "This is all because of me. If I had not gone to that party, none of this would have happened. I wouldn't have let her do so much work. This is all my fault." I cried loudly as Anand consoled me. Sarita too began to cry and Anand had to console both of us. 

The doctor came out and we all stood up hoping that he  would tell us that she was ok. "Listen, she is very critical. The vein leading to her brain has a clot and so we need to do surgery urgently. However, this surgery is very dangerous. Many people have slipped into coma or even died with this surgery. But we will try our best. Please arrange the money," the doctor said. "How much will this cost?" Anand asked. The doctor replied and then left, "Approximately, $500,000." Sarita sat back down in shock and despair. Sobbing, she said, "That is so much. Where will we get that amount of money?" I walked away lost in thought and reached a small temple in the hospital. Folding my hands in reverence, I said, "Oh God, please show me a way that I can help my mother. I have to save her. Please tell me, how can I?" My tears began to flow and then it struck me. I knew that God had shown me the way and bowed. I have $550,000 from the project. I can use that for the surgery. I ran back to the doctor not wasting another moment and said that I would pay for the operation and that he just start it. I knew that this is going to be risky for Maa but we have no other choice. I deposited the money and they carried her to the operation theater. After signing all the formalities, they started and we sat outside praying and hoping that she gets better. After a few hours, the red light went off signaling that the operation was over. They came back outside and waited for the doctor to give the good news. He spoke, "We have done the operation and it was successful." We heaved a sigh of relieve. "But," he continued and we all got back worried, "We have to keep her under strict observation. There is still a high chance that she may slip into a coma. But don't worry. We are trying our utmost best to save her. Now excuse me," he said and left. We still had some hope that she would make it since the operation was successful. They brought her outside. We gathered around her but she was still unconscious. They shifted her back to the I.C.U. for observation. We were instructed that only one of us could remain for the night and I was adamant that I would stay. 

After much pestering, I sent Sarita and Anand home. I sat outside the room and covered my face with my hand sobbing. Someone placed their hand on my shoulder and I looked up to see who it was. I saw a strange girl smiling at me. She looked around my age or even a little older than me. "Don't worry. Everything would be ok," she said. I looked at her and said with tears welling up for more in my eyes, "How can it be ok? My mother is suffering inside there. We did the operation and still she haven't regained consciousness. How can everything be ok? And who are you?" She smiled and introduced herself, "Hi my name is Sameera." I wasn't in any state to give her my introduction and she sat there for a while speaking to me. She told me that she was there with her mother-in-law. She had cancer and was getting treatment. I felt lighter after our conversation and then she got up and left. I went inside the room and sat my the bed. I took Maa's hand and looked at her. Slowly, I didn't realise when I had fallen asleep right there. The next morning, I felt someone waking me up. I opened my eyes and saw Anand and Sarita standing besides me. Sarita was waking me up and when I was awaken, she told me to go home and change my clothes. I had a heavy heart to leave. She convinced me eventually and I left the hospital. I walked along the roadside messy. A cab stopped for me and I got in. The cab took me home. I staggered upstairs. I went straight to the bathroom and had a bath. I came out and didn't see any clothes on my bed. My eyes welled up remembering Maa. I took out some clothes from my cupboard and wore it. I went back outside and was locking the door when someone came from behind me and said, "Urvi ma'am." I immediately recognised the voice and turned around. Sneha stood there with a frown on her face. She diverted her eyes to the lock on the door and asked me, "Are you going somewhere?" I nodded. "Ma'am, Yash sir sent me to inform you that you have to attend office to give your two weeks notice. In these two weeks, we must make sure that the entire interior of the hotel is up to mark," she said.