Yash's Guilt

Yash's P.O.V.

I fumbled back a bit in my disbelief. "When...when...did this?" I stammered. Urvashi went to the picture and looked at it. "On the day of my birthday, I was already heartbroken and when I came home, there was an ambulance parked downstairs. It came for Maa. She had difficulty breathing. When we reached the hospital, she needed a surgery and from the money which I made working in your company, it was all spent on that. Three days later, she..." Urvashi said and her voice broke at the ending. She began to cry and said, "I couldn't reach her Yash. I could've saved her but I didn't reach in time. I had her medicines but I couldn't reach her. Because of me she died. I killed her." I remembered the night which was three days after her birthday when I had force her to remain in the office. She begged me to leave and I was too angry to listen. She wasn't begging me to leave, she was begging me for her mother's life, and I didn't give it to her. She was so desperate, she even fell on her knees that night begging me and I...I didn't listen. Urvashi began to step back and sat down on her bed. I had no face now to go in front of her. How can I face her after what I did? She bent her head and cried. I went in front of her and stooped down on the ground. With my head bent low and my eyes filled with tears, I clasped my hands and said, "I am sorry Urvashi. You are not to be blamed for your mother's death. I am. If I had let you leave that night from the office, you would have reached your mother in time with her medicines. I can't make this up to you Urvashi. I am your culprit. I am sorry." She held my folded hands and said, "No Yash. it's my fault. I couldn't save her." I got up and sat on the bed and she wasted no time and hugged me tightly and began to cry. My eyes went towards the door and Sarita was standing there. I broke the hug and said to Urvashi, "Look, Sarita is here." She turned around and saw her. Both sisters had tears and hugged each other. After a while, they broke the hug and Urvashi cupped Sarita's face and asked, "Are you alright?" Sarita nodded and hugged her again. I got up and went to Sarita. Folding my hands in front of her with my eyes lowered in shame, I said, "I am sorry for whatever I did with your family. I have no courage now to look you in the eyes. I am very ashamed of myself. Please forgive me if it's possible."

She stepped away from Urvashi and came to me. Holding my hands, she said, "It's ok. I can forgive you for everything once my sister is happy." She turned to Urvashi and asked, "Are you happy with him?" Urvashi frowned and I got worried. I knew that I had given her so much trouble that she will say no but she smiled and nodded leaving me surprised. Sarita turned back to me and smiled saying, "I forgive you." She smiled and wiped away Urvashi's tears and said, "Come on now. No more crying. Do you remember the promise that Maa took from us? No crying." Urvashi brought a small smile on her face in between her tears and hugged her once more. "I will cook something for you," Sarita said and left. Urvashi stood and looked at me. I lowered my eyes. I still didn't have the courage to look her in the eye. I was too ashamed to face her. She came up to me and looked at me silently. I walked beside her and was about to walk outside when she held back my hand and stopped me. "Sarita might want some help in the kitchen. You can go and help her. I will come back for you in the evening," I said. I managed to let my hand out of her grip and walked out of the room. I was walking through the kitchen to leave when Sarita stopped me asking, "Are you two leaving so early?" I didn't meet eyes with her either and said, "Urvashi will remain. I will come back in the evening to get her." I took a step forward again when she asked, "Aren't you staying?" "No. I can't. I have some important meeting at work so I have to leave," I lied. I walked out of the house as quickly as possible. I reached my car and was stopped once more, this time, by Anand saying, "Are you too ashamed of what you did?" I turned around and looked at him. He slowly approached me and said, "You should be ashamed. If I were in your place, I would have never showed my face to Urvashi ever again in life. You are right. You should leave. But without coming back for Urvashi. We are capable enough to let her stay here for the rest of her life. Without you. She doesn't need you Mr. Yash Malhotra. Do you remember that day? When I came to collect Urvashi's stuff in the office. What did you say? Her plan can never be successful! I have to tell you this today Mr. Malhotra, your plan can never be successful. The plan of yours to ruin Urvi's life can never be successful."