Reminiscing

Yash's P.O.V.

Urvashi's nine months of pregnancy went by very tough and memorable. From her waking me up in the late hours of the night because of her cravings for ice cream to her morning sickness and body pains. Our room were filled with toys for the new member along with a crib. Urvashi insisted that the baby sleep in the same room as us and so I had to agree. The entire family did everything possible to keep her happy. I knew that she went through a lot of pain and hard times bearing our child. Sarita had given birth to a baby boy name Aarav a week ago and anytime soon, Urvashi will deliver. One night, she woke up and held her stomach crying. I woke up with her cries and she began screaming. I began to panic and began shouting for Akash. He came to our room quickly along with everyone else in the family. "I think she is going into labour," Sadhna said. My brain stopped working and I only continued to panic. "Quickly Yash, we have to hurry her to the hospital!" Akash said. I nodded and picked her up in my arms. I rushed out the house and sped to the hospital. My hands were trembling. Reaching the hospital, she was carried to the maternity ward at once. The entire family came shortly after. I paced left to right praying that nothing happen to Urvashi. Daadi came and hugged me and caressing my back, she said, "Don't worry Yash. Everything will be fine." I heard Urvashi's screams from inside the room and my heart sank. I began to feel more nervous. After a few minutes, her screams stopped and the crying of a baby echoed in the silent ward. The doctor came out and said, "Congratulations, it's a boy. The mother and son are both healthy." I ran inside the room and all the nurses looked at me surprised. "Sir, we are shifting your wife to the ward, you can meet her there," one of them said. I looked at her sternly and then to Urvashi. She looked weary and was covered with sweat. I ran to her and held her hand. "This is it! We aren't having any more children. I can't see you in this pain ever again," I said. She smiled and looked away. "But the pain was worth enduring. For him," she said. 

I turned around and looked at the nurse coming to us with our son in her arms. She gave him to Urvashi. I trembled looking at how small he was. His eyes were shut and he was sleeping. Urvashi had tears in her eyes as she looked the baby. She slowly kissed his forehead and looked at me. She moved to give me him but I stopped her saying, "I can't hold him. I don't know how to." She smiled and gave him to me. She rested my hand under his neck and on his back. My eyes welled up. A nurse came and said, "Ma'am, please come, we have to shift you to the ward." I walked outside with the baby in my arms and everyone came to me excited. Everyone wanted a chance to hold him but the peace I had found from holding him was beyond explaining in words. Daadi took the child and looked at him. Urvashi was shifted in the ward and I went and sat next to her. I held her hand the entire family came into the room. Daadi placed the baby next to her and said, "Thank you for giving this family another bundle of joy." She smiled. Mom came and kissed her forehead. They all left and went home and I remained back with Urvashi. "I don't want to remain here. I want to go home," Urvashi said with a frown. "I'll go and talk to the doctor," I said. I got up and turned around but the doctor came in with a paper. "Mr. Malhotra, these are the discharge papers for your wife. Please sign here," she said and gave me the papers. I signed the papers and after some other formalities, we left the hospital at dawn. I drove home with Urvashi and the baby in the back seat. Reaching home, Mom welcomed us and we went straight to our room. Urvashi sat on the bed with the baby and I went next to her. "Urvashi, take some rest, you must be very tired. Don't worry about the baby," I said to her. Mom came into the room and said, "The naming ceremony is tomorrow itself. Take some rest the two of you, we will do all the arrangements." She left. Urvashi laid on the bed and closed her eyes. She slept away. I caressed her hair and looked at her with a smile. I am just thankful that she didn't have to go through all the pain anymore. 

I took the baby and went downstairs. Everyone were busy working and suddenly the baby woke up but remained silent. I smiled and played with him. After some time, Urvashi came downstairs. Daadi went to her and asked, "Why did you come downstairs?" "I want to help with some work," Urvashi said. I stood up with the baby and said sternly, "No need! You need rest." She pouted at me and Daadi said, "She won't listen like that. Yash, take her away." I held her arm and carried her back to the room. I rested the baby inside the crib and carried her to the bed. I made her sit down and rested her feet on my laps and began massaging them. She leaned back and smiled. "What will we name our son tomorrow?" I asked. "Depends on whatever letter the priest gives us. But do you know, I always loved the name Veer," she said. "Do you love him more than me?" I asked. "Do you love him more than me?" she asked. "I will never love anyone more than you," I said. "Don't say that. You have to love both of us equally," she said. "I do. I was only joking," I said. She smiled.

The next day, the priest came and conducted a small prayer ceremony. He read a book and said, "You should name the child with the letter A." Everyone began to think and Daadi said, "Ayaan!" I looked at Urvashi and she smiled means she approved. "That's a beautiful name!" the priest said. Since I didn't have a sister, Ragini and Sadhna whispered the name in the baby's ear. Later that night, I went to our room and found Urvashi sitting by the window with Ayaan. I went to her and sat opposite her. "What are you thinking?" I asked. She smiled and said, "Who would have thought that after our first meet, we would be marry each other and one day become parents?" I smiled. "You remember the first time we met? God, we hated each other! I had thought that I would make your life hell after that. I wanted to show you what was hell. Yash's hell!" I said remembering. "Hmm...and you tried your best," she said. "Then we were in Goa," I said. "That was such a fun time," I said. She nodded and said, "Then coming back, I finally started warming up to you. And that day on the yacht, when you jumped in the water, I was terrified. You scared the life out of me." I smiled. "Then came that Karan Khurana. Disgusting man!" she said. "Really, when he kidnapped you, I could have killed him!" I said. "But that's when I realised that I love you," she said. I looked at her with narrowed eyes and said, "Really?" She nodded. "Then I started coming closer to you and during Sarita's wedding, we spent such a good time," I said, "And you gave me a hard time after I confessed my love!" "And our first date! You did an amazing job at it. It was one of the best nights of my life. The most special," she said and rested her head on my shoulder. "Then when Prateek came, I was so jealous. But I had to leave for London and then our lives turned upside down," I said, "That night of the party, I can never forgive myself for that. How could I believed Sacha and doubted you?" "Then our wedding," she said and giggled. "After that, everything feel into place one by one and look, we are happy today," I said. "You're right," she said. 

I looked at Ayaan in her arms and said, "This child will always be the symbol of our love and whenever you look at him, you will remember how much I love you. Our love, Ayaan Veer Malhotra." She looked at me with a surprised smile. "Yes. If you like the name Veer, then that's also going to be part of his identity. Ayaan Veer Malhotra," I said. I kissed her forehead and hugged her while we both looked at our baby, our Ayaan. "We have went through so much didn't we? It felt like everyone and everything was against us. Sometimes, I used to think that you were never mine. I felt as if our love will never be this great," I said. She was about to say something when, we heard a knock on the door and turned around. Mom came into the room and said, "We had hired a photographer to take the family's picture and he is here so please come down. Sarita and Anand are also here with Aarav." We nodded and followed her downstairs. The entire setup was already done and we looked at each other surprised. "All of this were happening downstairs and we didn't know anything?" Urvashi said. Sarita and Anand came and congratulated us. The photographer made us all come into the frame and stood behind his camera. "What were you saying in the room upstairs? You thought that I was never yours?" Urvashi whispered while the photographer was taking out pictures. I looked at her. She smiled and said, "I Was Always Yours To Be Yash." I smiled and kissed her forehead. We looked at the camera and the picture was snapped. The Perfect Family!