Chapter 40

It was only a matter of time until the story about what happened got out and reporters started harassing Alice. She did everything in her power to avoid speaking to them until one night. FP insisted on them going out because Alice spent most of her time inside after Susan's funeral. Also they've been so busy with work and Alice avoided going out as much as possible because of the reporters but eventually she gave in when FP said that he found a nice small diner close to them and he heard it was pretty quiet there especially late at night.

It was around ten and a half when FP and Alice made their way to a booth in the corner. They weren't necessarily afraid of people seeing them together because FP told Gladys about them. She wasn't exactly thrilled about the idea of FP with another woman but he was happy and Gladys was happy about that. 

FP and Alice's food was just brought when Alice's phone started ringing. "It's Katie." Alice said and looked at FP as if he should've known who she was but FP had no clue so he asked Alice about her. "She's my to go reporter."

"Your to go reporter?" FP asked raising his eyebrows and Alice nodded her head. "What's that?" He continued and Alice sighed as if he should've known that, but she wasn't actually mad because she never heard other people speak about 'to go reporters', except herself, of course. 

"Katie is the one reporter that actually helped me." Alice started forgetting about her phone for a second, but when FP pointed at it because it was still ringing quietly Alice stopped from explaining and answered. "Hi Katie, how are you?"

"I'm good, but that's not why I'm calling." Katie said sounding rushed and Alice was wondering if everything was ok, but before she had the chance to put her concerns into words Katie started talking again. "Please tell me you're not at 'Tom's diner'."

"I am, why?" Alice asked furrowing in confusion and FP mouthed to her a question as to why she was making that face.

"Get out of there as quick and as silently possible-"

"Wh-"

"Everyone knows you're there. Someone took a picture of you and FP, they posted it online." Katie cut Alice off and Alice thanked her before she hung up.

"We have to go." Alice said standing up, but FP didn't follow immediately. Instead he did ask Alice 'why'. "Someone posted a picture of us so everyone knows we are here."

"Crap!" FP said and he took a huge bite of his burger before he stood up. Alice rolled her eyes at his actions, but she didn't say a thing. 

FP looked through the window and there were three cars just parking outside the diner and those cars were quickly followed by others. FP pointed in that direction as he started speaking but Alice couldn't make out a word because of the food in his mouth. "You two, get over there." What FP and Alice read on the name tag was Tom, the owner of the diner called from behind the counter. He gestured for them to get in the back and thankfull, FP and Alice did so.

They heard the reporters run inside the diner and FP with Alice stayed quiet to hear their words. They started in a wave of different voices and tones to ask Tom about FP and Alice, but he just asked them politely to leave. When they didn't, Tom threatened to call the police and a couple of minutes later the door that led to the back of the diner was being opened by Tom himself. "You're safe." 

"Thank you so much sir." Alice smiled at him and Tom returned him the smile. 

"No problem kids." Tom nodded towards them. He was about twenty years older than them and he spent most of his time in the diner, but he was really caught up in who was famous those days, he recognised FP and Alice the moment they entered his diner.

"These burgers are freaking delicious." FP said slowly moving his head from left to right with a look of satisfaction on his face and Alice rolled her eyes. "Can I have two to go?"

"FP I-" Alice was just about to tell him that she was fine with none when he cut her off. 

"Right, she needs some too, so can we have three?" FP asked and Tom nodded as he shortly laughed. 

"FP-"

"Make it four, what the hell?" FP asked smiling and Alice was one step away from taking the burger he left from their table and pushing it down his throat.

They waited for the food while Alice called the nanny to make sure the girls were fine, but after she spoke Alice didn't say a word to FP, she kept on thinking if she should just talk to Katie and set up an interview because everyone wanted to hear about what was happening from Alice and they weren't going to stop, no matter what. 

For example there were pictures on every site with Susan's body in the river before even Alice was announced that the body had been found, there weren't many boundaries for most reporters and it was the most annoying thing in the world for Alice. Thinking about it Alice hadn't realised when a tear rolled down her cheek, but FP did. He moved his hand to her face and wiped it away. "Do you need anything Alice?" FP whispered close to her ear and Alice shook her head. 

"We have to be on set early, we should go."