Chapter 49

They stayed a week more at the inn, but for their last night there FP had big plans. He has been meaning to ask Alice the big question for some time, but he never found the right moment, but now that they had reconnected it seemed like the perfect time. He talked to the owner of the most beautiful restaurant there in town and they arranged the roof special for FP and Alice.

There were flowers everywhere, red and white roses, Alice's favourites. A red carpet was placed so the moment they got up on the roof it led them to their table. A violinist was playing something a few feet away from their beautifully arranged table.

The night went perfect, but as the moment to ask Alice the great question came closer and closer FP was really nervous and he wasn't sure how to bring it up. He had a whole speech planned and he forgot every single word. But luck seemed to be on his side when it came to bringing it up because Alice did.

"Hey, how'd you know back then that Gladys was the one?" Alice asked because somehow she felt that the conversation they had before about Jughead and all that led to it.

"I thought she was." FP corrected even though Alice didn't spot the difference right that moment. "I just had a feeling...like I do now."

"What?" Alice asked frowning a little as FP got up from his seat and took a step closer to Alice. She couldn't believe her eyes. "FP..."

"I love you Alice." FP said as he kneeled down and pulled a small red box out of his pocket. "Will you marry me?" FP didn't know what else to say so he decided just to ask her in a really simple way.

Alice watched FP, her heart pounding in her chest. She moved a little back in her chair and took a deep breath. "No." Alice slightly shook her head and before FP had the time to process the answer Alice was gone.

Alice rushed outside of the restaurant and just started walking away. She looked behind a few times thinking that FP was behind her, but he wasn't. She thought that she must've really thrown him off, she must've really hurt him.

Alice didn't stop walking until she got to the bench up on the hill, the place they went the first day they arrived in town. She kicked off her shows because they were just really annoying at the time, she was used to wearing heels, but she felt like hitting something, throwing things and yelling. Alice didn't know why she had just said no, she couldn't figure it out yet, not on her own. "What is wrong with me? I love him."

FP paid for what he prepared at the restaurant before he went looking for Alice. His heart was aching because of what just happened, but he needed to find her, first to make sure she was ok then to talk to her and find out why she said no. There weren't many places in town she could be at that time, he first checked at the inn, but she wasn't there and after a couple more places he found Alice. "Here you are."

Alice wiped away her tears the moment she heard FP's voice, then she turned around and looked at him, he was a few feet behind her. Alice opened her mouth to speak, but she couldn't find her words so nothing came out. "Can I sit?" FP asked pointing at the space on the bench next to Alice and she nodded. She was afraid of what she'd see in his eyes, but she fought that fear and looked into them. She could tell he was hurt and Alice would've done anything to take that away. "What happened there? Why did you run away?"

"I needed air." Alice said and it was the worst excuse she could've found because they were on a roof. "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry FP."

"You don't have to be sorry if you don't want to marry me." FP wasn't going to force Alice into anything but he felt that she would have said yes if he asked her to marry him.

"I want to marry you, it's just..." And there was silence. Alice had absolutely no idea what to say next, but FP did. It somehow came to him and he called himself an idiot for not realising sooner.

"Hal." FP said and Alice just stared at him as he continued speaking. "He left when you had Betty. When things got even more real than they already were he left and you're afraid I will too." He told Alice and she slightly nodded, but it wasn't all.

"It's just one of the reasons I'm afraid." Alice said quietly and FP remained silent, he wanted to hear her out. "I mean I do think that's mostly why I said no because...because if you leave too I'll only have Hermione."

"I won't leave." FP had to assure Alice of that. He could see it in her eyes, the fear. "I won't ever leave you Alice, I promise." To make it sound even more convincing FP took her hands in his.

"I guess that now I'm just more afraid of losing people because I only have two in my life." Alice had lots of friends, but not the kind of friends she really needed, the kind of friends that were actually family.

They stood in silence for a while because neither of them was sure of what to say and eventually Alice laughed. "What?" FP asked completely confused.

"A few days ago I was afraid of telling you that you're the one because I thought it would scare you away and you hust proposed to me." Alice saw as FP's eyes widened a little. He asked if she really thought he was the one and Alice firmly nodded with a smile on her face. "You're the one."

"Then let's make it official Alice." FP said taking once again the box out of his pocket. More confident this time. "Will you marry me?"

"Yes, of course I will." Alice waited fro FP to put the ring on her finger and as he got up she did too and she wrapped her arms around him, hugging FP tightly. "Because I love you."

"I love you too."