Chapter 43

Alice wanted to take care of the arrangements for the funeral and the gathering afterwards, but she barely got out of bed so Hermione took over that. It took her half a day to organise everything and she set the funeral two days after it all happened.

FP had taken Alice to see her daughters once and she was there a few hours and by the time she thought they should leave Alice was a mess and she could barely walk to the car, she didn't even want to think about the funeral, but that horrific day eventually came.

It was eight in the morning and Alice was looking at her bed. Two black dresses were on it and she had to decide between them. It wasn't a hard decision because Alice picked up the one that looked the easiest to put on and that was it. Just as she finished putting on the dress there was a knock on the door to her bedroom. "Hey." FP said slowly opening the door and Alice turned to look at him.

"Hi." Alice quietly said as FP looked her up and down. She looked like a ghost, she wasn't the Alice FP knew and he would've done anything to bring her daughters back, but there was nothing he could do and it was killing FP.

"We should probably go." FP told Alice and she slightly nodded. "Are you sure about the gathering afterwards Alice?" FP asked because Alice didn't look like she could handle that. She was strong, he had to admit that, but what happened to her daughters brought her down, it would bring anyone down.

"I'm sure, just don't leave me." Alice wanted to say much more, but she decided against speaking because she would start crying again, she wasn't sure if she could even keep it in until they'd get to the car.

At the funeral after the priest finished talking there happened the sweetest moment from the girls' friends. The little children gathered and as the coffins with Betty and Polly inside were being lowered into the ground they started singing 'Over the rainbow', the words were barely understandable because most of the kids were crying and Alice asked them to stop shortly after they started because she couldn't watch them in such a state and she could barely handle herself.

Alice wrapped her hands tightly around FP's arm and as the coffins got lower and lower her grip got tighter. "I can't." Alice whispered to FP, tears streaming down her face. The pain was unbearable and Alice would've done anything for that not to happen.

"Hey, Alice Alice!" A man running from behind the bushes started calling Alice's name and she looked that direction before she realised it was a reporter.

Everybody started looking around for others, but obviously they weren't there because no reporter should've been. Nobody had any idea how he got there and before someone could make him leave he took a picture of Alice that would make the front page of the newspaper the next day.

"Animals." FP whispered between gritted teeth as he pulled Alice closer. He wished he could kick that man's ass and if Alice didn't need him there he would've.

Half an hour after the incident everyone was at Alice's house. Hermione decided with Alice that the gathering should happen there because if they rented a restaurant or something more reporters would've made their appearance.

"Do you want to go upstairs and lay down?" FP asked the moment they entered the house, but Alice shook her head.

"I'll stay down her half and hour, but please don't-"

"I won't." FP cut Alice off and she was glad he didn't make her speak more than she wanted. Susan's funeral was much easier to handle, especially the small gathering afterwards, but this time it was a million times harder and Alice could barely nod her head as everyone spoke about how sweet her girls were.

"I need to sit." Alice told FP after a little while and he walked with her to the empty couch in the living room. As they walked through the crowd Alice remembered that she had to talk to Hermione about selling the house, Alice couldn't handle another moment in there.

"I'll go bring you some water, ok?" FP asked Alice and she slightly nodded. As FP went to get her some water Alice was almost immediately surrounded by three little humans: Archie, Veronica and Jughead. They stood in front of Alice just watching her for a few moments and Alice forced a smile.

"Hi kids." Alice said trying to keep her voice from breaking. Veronica was the first to do something and that was jumping on Alice and hugging her tightly. The boys were quick to follow her lead and as Alice wrapped her arms around them she couldn't help it as tears rolled down her face.

"We're sorry." Jughead said and moved away following his friends' lead.

"How about you go to the kitchen with Gladys and get some candies ok? I bet there are some good ones there." Alice said looking at Gladys who was a few steps behind the kids. Gladys got the hint and took the kids to the kitchen just as FP returned from there with the water.

"Here-"

"I can't take this anymore." Alice said and before FP reached her she stood up. "If anyone asks I'm upstairs and I can't talk."