Chapter 13

Amelia's P.O.V

I swallow hard, walking into Chemistry. My eyes dart around. I don't see Reece's neat blonde hair anywhere- and I didn't see him in the hallway. I sigh, sitting down in my usual seat. The door opens, and my head drops. A tall figure walks past me, but I keep my head down. I don't want to look at Reece. I couldn't. I would break, and I couldn't do that. I would look pathetic.

The figure sits down next to me, and I'm sure it's Reece. "Hi, Lia." Yes. It's Reece. I don't look up, or speak to him. "Amelia? C-Can we talk?" I sit stiffly, staring at the desk in front of me- when a large hand falls on my shoulder. I look up, finding Reece sitting there, cuts and bruises covering his face. I can't hold back a gasp. I jump slightly, my jaw dropping. "Lia, please?"

"W-What happened?" I ask, shrugging his hand off of my shoulder.

"It doesn't matter," he replies, frowning. Reece's wearing a long-sleeved shirt, even though it's 103 degrees out today. Something's wrong. "We need to talk about... yesterday."

"There's nothing to talk about," I say, turning back towards the front of the classroom. I wait for the teacher to come in, ignoring the boy sitting next to me.

"Yes there is. Lia, I-"

"Okay class!" Reece is interrupted by the teacher walking through the door. "Turn to page 26 in your textbook!" Reece sighs, grabbing his book. I do the same, and open it up.

"Amelia, I really need-"

"Mr. Bibby, is there something you would like to share with the class?" the teacher snaps, looking at him.

Reece rolls his eyes. "No. Not particularly."

"Are you sure? Because it sure seemed important," she walks over to us, eyeing Reece and I. "Miss Graham, how about you? Anything to add?" I sigh, shaking my head. Reece frowns, looking over at me sadly. "Oh. I see. You two little love-birds wanna talk about your relationship and when your dates are going to be and how hard you're going to go at it tonight!"

My jaw drops, and I frown. "We're not 'love-birds'. We're not even friends." It breaks me to say that, but I have to.

"Well, then what was it then?" she asks, tapping her foot on the floor.

"It wasn't that important," Reece grumbles, looking down at his book. The teacher mumbles something, before going to the front of the room. I swallow hard, feeling a heavy feeling inside of me.

* * *

I walk down the hallway, putting books into my locker. I hum silently to myself, trying to act like everything was normal. That three days ago, my heart wasn't broken by some boy. By a person I cared so much about...

"Hey." I turn, finding Jennifer standing next to me. She smiles sadly down at me (she's like two feet taller), "How you doing?"

I return the smile, "I'm, uh... I'm fine."

"James told me about Jackass Bibby," she says softly. "I just wanted to make sure you were alright."

I shrug, looking down. "I-I really liked him."

"Oh, I know Amelia. I know." Jennifer pats my arm comfortingly. I smile at her, shutting my locker. "Hey, wanna come over tonight? Maybe we could go see a movie, go to the mall- get your mind off of things for a while."

"Yeah. That sounds great, Jen." She gives me a smile before walking off the other way towards the lunchroom. I swallow hard, looking down. I'm not too hungry at the moment.

So, instead, I decide to go to the library. I walk down the hallway, heading over to the area. Suddenly, somebody grabs my wrists, pulling me along with them. Soon, I'm in a dark room. The light flickers on, and I discover I'm in a closet. With Reece. "Reece-"

"Lia, we need to talk. In private," he says very seriously, his hands gripping my arms tightly.

"I-I-" I stammer, on the verge of tears.

"Don't cry!" he begs, grabbing my hands. "Please don't cry, Amelia. Please."

My bottom lip quivers. "Just leave me alone! I really c-can't-"

"Lia, you have to listen to m-" before he can finish, the door is thrown open; revealing Jake. His jaw drops and he stares at us blankly. I pull away from Reece and run out of the closet, not being able to keep the tears in. They flood down my cheeks as I dash down the hallway towards the front door. I run out of it, and take off down the sidewalk.

I have to get away from him. I have to.

Reece's P.O.V

"I don't give a shit what James wants!" I yell. "Because of him, I fucking hurt someone I care an awful lot about- and I need to make things right."

"The best thing you can do right now Reece, is stay away from her. I don't want to sound rude. I know you're just trying to help," Jake sighs, "but please. Just back off for a while. Maybe in a week or two, try talking to her. Okay?" I could tell he was trying to be calm, but I was aggravating him. I didn't give a fuck. I needed to fix what happened.

"I need her," my voice is hoarse as I say that. "I really need her. I don't think I can live that long without her!"

"Try." And with that, he goes off the other way. Probably going to tell James. Fuck them both. I was not waiting a week to make things right. I was going to do it now- wait, no, not now. I need to plan.

Tonight. I would do it tonight.

______________________________________________________________