Chapter 21

The walk home from Reece's house was silent and honestly a little uncomfortable. It was sad having to say goodbye to him- because I didn't know when I would see him next. When we were in front of my house, Reece took me in his arms and kissed my lips. "I love you Amelia," he whispered softly to me.

"I love you too Reece." I snuggle into his chest, inhaling his beautiful scent of mint. I fisted his t-shirt in my hand, not wanting to let go of him. Reece kissed my forehead, "I'll see you tomorrow." I swallowed with a nod. Reece then let me go and took off back to his house. I walked up the stairs to mine, feeling my palms sweat. I open the door and step inside. The lights flicker on.

James was standing in the doorway of the kitchen, "Where the hell have you been?"

I frowned. "No where."

"Where?" he demanded. "And don't lie and say you were with Jennifer because I know you weren't. I fucking called her! Where were you?"

"Fine!" I yell. "I was with Reece!"

"Ame-" he begins, but I stop him.

"No! Just save it! James, I love him. Why can't you understand that?" I felt tears on the rims of my eyes as I yelled at him. James took a step closer to me, his eyes full of sadness.

"Reece loves no one." After that, James turned on his heels and went back into the kitchen. I swallowed. What did he mean?

I followed him into the kitchen, "J-James?"

He was eating something from a bowl. "What?"

I sat down at the table, folding my hands. James sat across from me, scarfing down his food. "Why do you hate Reece so much? I mean, I know that story about him ditching you and stuff, but what really happened?"

He sighed, looking at me. "Fine. Reece never ditched me. What happened, was that I had this friend. Her name was Jules and she was a really sweet and innocent girl- kind of like you. With one exception to that. Reece. Reece and her hated each other so much. They were always fighting. One day, Jules was being a real bitch to Reece, and things really got out of control. Reece hit her really hard. Jules started to cry and the police got called. Reece was arrested for that. Casey and I bailed him out, and Reece went to apologize to Jules. When we went into her bedroom, we found them making out. It turned out that the only reason they had acted like they did, was because they loved each other. So they got together and everything was absolutely perfect... and then Jules was murdered by her step-father." My jaw dropped.

"Oh my god," I gasped.

"Casey got Reece into doing drugs- really bad drugs so that he could numb his feelings about loosing Jules. One day, I walked in on them smoking pot and I yelled at him. Reece got mad and started crying. That was the only time I ever saw him cry. I left and after that, Reece changed. He continued doing drugs and stuff so he wouldn't feel." James swallowed. "That's why I know he doesn't love you. He can't love you. The drugs are killing him- and his emotions."

"He told me," I said softly, "he stopped doing the drugs for me." James looked up at me, his eyebrow raised. I smiled weakly with a nod.

"Do you honestly love him though?" James questions. I nod my head. James sighs, looking down at his lap. "I just don't want to see you get hurt, and I'm scared Reece will."

"He wont hurt me james. I promise," I tell him, grabbing his hand. James set down his bowl and looked up at me. Tears were in his eyes. "I want to help him. And I have been! He stopped doing drugs, drinking, cutting- James, I'm trying to save his life. Please, just let me."

James shrugged. "I'll think about it, Mia." I gave him a soft smile. "Now give me a hug!" I giggle, leaning over to pull him into my arms.

______________________________________________________________