Chapter 35

I quickly dialed Amelia's number, not sure what to do now. Would he still let her come? Would he send me home? Oh please send me home! Seconds later, someone answered: "Hello?"

"Uh, hi, is Amelia t-there?" I stammered, my voice strained.

"Reece?" I realized then that it was James.

"Yeah. It's me," I replied, trying to keep my voice steady.

"Amelia's sick," he sighed sadly. "She's started throwing up really late last night and hasn't really stopped since then..." I felt my throat tighten; I should be there with her. I should have her on my lap, rubbing her back, making her feel better. But instead I was here.

"Oh Lia," my voice trailed off as I continued to hate myself for not being there for my angel.

"Here she is!" James exclaimed. "It's Reece," I heard him tell someone in the background.

There was a shift before Amelia's tired, yet excited voice came on. "R-Reece?"

"Yeah baby, it's me," I smiled weakly. "How are you feeling, love? James said you were pretty sick."

"I'm fine; I think I just ate something bad," Amelia replied with a sad sigh. I could hear the pain in that angelic voice of hers. I swallowed, wiping my moistening eyes.

"I'll be right there babe," I tell her after a moment of silence.

"What?" she asks, clearing her throat.

"I'm coming home," I say. "I can't stay here another fucking minute! I need to be there with you, making you feel better. I'll be there by morning, okay?"

"But-"

"I don't care, okay? I'm sneaking away and I'm going to take care of you!" I whisper/yelled. By now tears were streaking my cheeks. "I love you, okay?"

"I l-love you too," Amelia whispered.

"I'll see you soon."

"See you soon," she replies.

"Bye sweetie," I mumble before hanging up. I get to my feet and make my way to the window. Time to go home.

*James' POV*

"How are you feeling?" I ask when Amelia drops down beside me on the couch. I grab the blanket sitting on the headrest and cover up my trembling little sister. I kiss her warm forehead, smoothing back her chestnut hair.

"Reece is coming," she whispered.

"What?" I almost yelled, shocked by what she told me.

"He's sneaking away so that he can be here with me," Amelia groans, burying her face in my shoulder.

"He is so screwed," I comment jokingly, rubbing her forehead softly.

"No! Don't say that!" she begs, shutting her eyes.

"Sorry," I apologize. "So he's really coming here?"

I felt Amelia nod against my arm. "Yeah. I-I think he was mad at his dad, he sounded like h-he was crying and then he said he was coming home." I shut my eyes, laying my head on hers.

"He really loves you, doesn't he?" I mumble.

"Yeah," Amelia whispers, and I can almost hear the smile in her voice.

"You know I'm not crazy about you dating, but I'm happy that your dating someone who cares about you the way Reece does." I hear Amelia sigh happily.

"I love you James."

"I love you too Mia," I reply. Soon, she drifts off to sleep with her head still on my shoulder.

______________________________________________________