Chapter 36

*Lyndsey's POV*

I sat on the couch, drinking coffee and watching the news. My hands curled around the hot mug, I lifted it up to my lips and sipped. Suddenly, I was brought out of my trance on the screen by a loud ringing noise. I exhaled, setting the blue mug down on the coffee table. I grabbed the phone and pressed answer. "Hello?"

"Where is he?" I heard someone yell.

"What?" I groan, immedaitly knowing who it was.

"Where's Reece?" his father Jamie demanded angrily.

"With you," I say bitterly, wrapping my arms around myself.

"No. He left." My eyes widened; Reece actually ran away? "Isn't he there with you?"

"N-No," I stammer.

"Then where the hell would he be?"

I exhaled; already knowing the answer. "I'll call you back once I find him. Goodbye." I hang up before he can say anything further and run towards the front door. I slip my shoes and coat on, snatching my keys off the hook before dashing outside.

* * *

"Hello- Lyndsey?" James answered the door, confusion and nervousness written across his face. "What are you, uh, doing here?"

"James, is Reece here?" I ask, although I already know the answer.

"No, um, why?"

"He is, isn't he?"

"Why?" James asks, obviously stalling.

"Is he here seeing Amelia?" I press.

"Is he in trouble?"

"No."

James sighs, opening the door wider. "Come in." I nod, going inside their house. James looked towards the stairs, "Amelia got sick a couple days ago and Reece called last night and got worried about her, so he told her he would come back. He got here at around four in the morning."

I smiled sadly; the lengths Reece would go through for this girl amazed me still. "Is he still up there?"

"Yes. You can go up there," James says.

"Thank you James," I tell him.

"No problem," he replies, slowly walking into the kitchen. I go up the stairs and down the hallway to the room the I was sure belonged to Amelia. I knocked gently, and soon Reece's voice called: "Come in."

I slowly opened the door and peeked my head inside. Amelia was wrapped up in various blankets, snuggled up against Reece who held a bottle of medicine. He was sliding some of it into her mouth and she scrunched up her nose. "Gross," she complained.

"But it'll make you feel better angel," he coos, smoothing back her hair. Amelia sighs, looking my way. Her eyes widen and she grabs Reece's arm. He looks up and almost drops the medicine bottle. "Mum! I, uh-"

"It's fine. You're not in trouble," I tell him quickly, walking over to her bed. I looked at Amelia, her face pale as snow and her body trembling underneath the blankets. "How are you feeling, Amelia?"

"Awful," she replies sadly, laying her head weakly on Reece's shoulder. He rubs her back, kissing her forehead. "But Reece is making me feel better." I smiled at him, sighing softly. "Can h-he please stay? I don't want him to go..."

"Oh of course sweetie," I say, which makes Reece's eyes light up.

"Really?" he exclaims excitedly. Amelia smiles, bringing her arms out of her blankets. She wraps them around Reece's neck and he snakes his around her waist. They hug each other tightly, burying their faces in their necks.

"Sure. I just have to call your father and tell him where you are," I say, turning towards the door. "Get better Amelia."

"T-Thank you Lyndsey!" she calls weakly, still hugging Reece. I smiled, exiting the room.

What they had was special, and I wasn't going to ruin that.

______________________________________________________