year one: birthdays

CHAPTER ELEVEN

CHAPTER ELEVEN

❛I think you might just be my new best friend.❜

December came quickly, and snow covered all of the grounds at Hogwarts

December came quickly, and snow covered all of the grounds at Hogwarts. Within the last few weeks, the four Gryffindors had found a lot of information on Nicolas Flamel, Fluffy, and Professor Snape. With as busy as everyone was, no one seemed to notice that Hope's birthday was approaching.

Hope Lupin-Black woke up on the morning of December 14th, more cheerful than usual, she even got up early to read a new book on magical creatures. As she got out of bed, four letters sat on her desk. One from Remus, one from her Grandfather Lyall, one from Augusta Longbottom, and one from someone named Andromeda Tonks.

Leaving them on the desk for later, Hope walked downstairs to see Alfie Lupin-Black and Cormac McLaggen already waiting down there for her with a small cookie with a candle in the center. As they walked toward her they began to sing the muggle birthday song.

As they finished the song, Hope's smile widened. "This is very sweet, thank you, guys,"

"No problem, Hopie," Cormac smirked, making her narrow her eyes at Alfie for telling him her childhood nickname. "I hope you like the cookie, the house elves made it just for you."

"Call me 'Hopie' again, and I'll hit you so hard your grandchildren will feel it. But thank you, Cormac," she said, turning to her brother. "And thank you for starting my birthday off great, Alfie, really."

"Birthday?!" a voice exclaimed from behind them.

The three of them turned quickly to see Fred and George Weasley standing at the bottom of the stairs. The Lupin-Black girl ran forward, shaking her head. "Would you two shush?"

"Little Lupin, we didn't know it was your birthday."

"We must celebrate."

She only shook her head, placing both her hands over the third-year boys' mouths. "It isn't a big deal. Now, let's forget you heard anything and head down to breakfast, boys."