year one: puzzles

CHAPTER TWENTY

CHAPTER TWENTY

❛At a later time, Hope.❜

After dinner that night, the four Gryffindor first-years sat in the common room feeling nervous about what they were about to do

After dinner that night, the four Gryffindor first-years sat in the common room feeling nervous about what they were about to do. No one seemed to notice how long they sat there, but for Hope Lupin-Black it felt like it took ages for everyone to go to bed.

Once everyone was up in their dormitories, Ron Weasley looked over to his best friend and muttered. "Better go get the cloak."

"In a minute, I just thought of something," Harry Potter stopped in his tracks. "How are we supposed to get past Fluffy? We don't have any music."

"'Mione has a flute in her—"

"Nope, no way," Hermione Granger quickly interrupted, shaking her head intently. "You are absolutely insane if you think I'm playing that thing. Do you know how many lessons my parents made me sit through? It's miserable."

The Weasley boy held back his laughter as he insisted. "Well if you know how, you might as well. None of us know how, and we need to get past it."

"Please?" Hope pleaded.

"Fine," groaned Hermione. "But if you ever bring it up again I will—"

Hope raised her hands in surrender, chuckling as she said. "I'll leave it up to my imagination."

After the four went up to their dormitories to grab what they needed, on their way back out of the common room they were interrupted by a timid voice exclaiming. "What are you doing?"

Neville Longbottom appeared from behind an armchair, clutching his toad Trevor in his right arm as he came forward. He eyed Hope Lupin-Black suspiciously, knowing that his four friends couldn't be up to any good.

"We aren't doing anything, Nev," Hope tried to explain, trying to get past him. "Why don't you just go back to bed?"

The Longbottom boy eyed their guilty expressions, before realizing what was happening. "No, you're going out again. Aren't you?"