#127 "99.9% Opposite"

You and Minghao were childhood friends from Grade 1 to Grade 6. But Minghao got separated from you when his family went to Italy and live there for good. 11 years had passed. He went back and said he'll be staying in your country. During the 11 years of his absence, the two of you constantly contacting each other; like chat messages, Zoom video chats or emails. Your friend relationships are so far so good. But being together physically, became awkward.

For example: Minghao was born with golden spoon in his mouth. On the other side, you are a kind of girl who sometimes got stress on how you'll pay the electric bill of your apartment. His hobbies are painting, drinking wine, photography and shopping. While yours are sleeping, watching movies, reading webtoons and eating street foods. From a far view, you two are living opposite from each other.

One day, he asked you for a lunch. No big deal! You're friends with him. So it isn't really a big deal. However...

"So you are wearing a track suit that looks like a pajama," Minghao complained as he shoved his hand on his forehead.

He said he'll take you for a lunch but he didn't say he'll bring you to an expensive restaurant! So you came here wearing a purple shirt and purple jogging pants.

"I thought you are Barney from afar," his savage comment made you frowned.

"And what about you? Wearing all white suit. Are you filming James Bond or Steven Seagull undying figure?" you rested your elbow on the table and placed your chin above your hand.

"This is what you called fashion," he gave his looks an honor.

After a battle of stare with his rounded fierce eyes with no lid, you heaved a sigh. "Whatever. I didn't know you'll take me to this kind of restaurant. I feel so ashamed sitting here with this kind of clothes."

"I texted you to wear proper clothes." Minghao gave a dazzling fake smile.

"The word proper should be elaborated," you made your eyes bigger with your teeth gritting.

"I'm done with this. Let's go make an order." The way he raised his hand to call for the waiter showed how he was used to this; being serve by. He checked the menu for ten seconds then shut it. "Two steak , a grape juice and a white wine."

You took your elbow off the table and asked, "Hey. You're driving. No wine."

"Can't you drive?" he asked. HE WAS SERIOUS. His expressionless stare tells you he isn't joking at all.

You wanted to say that you've never been given a chance to drive a car but that would be so embarrassing. Thus, in wavering voice you responded, "I d-don't feel like driving today."

"Ahh. You don't know how to drive four wheels," after saying this pain truth he looked at the waiter.

If he already knows the answer why does he need to say it out loud?! 'This jerk,' you said in your mind.

"No wine. Just two grape juices. Also for steak, I want medium rare," he instructed the waiter of how they supposed to cook his steak.

"Okay sir. What about you madam? Well done or medium rare?" the waiter asked you.

To be honest, you don't know the difference between those words. So you copied Minghao, "M-Medium rare," you awkwardly smiled.

After some minutes, they served your medium rare steaks and you are dumbfounded.

"I thought you'll order well done," he murmured while cutting the steak elegantly.

It because you didn't know that medium rare steak means it is a steak that is half-cooked! Mouth dropped as you lose your appetite.

"What are you doing tomorrow? It's Saturday. Let's stroll in a paint gallery," he said.

"That would be so boring. What about playing arcade games?" you suggested without even touching your food.

"Too childish. Aren't we too old for that?" he opposed. "Let's just play golf."

"That would be way too boring than strolling inside the gallery. Whatever. I'll stay at my house and watch anime instead." This time you touched your food and tasted it in a small hope that you'll be fond of it but... yeah. For you it tasted so bad than a spaghetti with chocolate syrup on it.

"Let's play golf. I'll pick you up tomorrow," he marked as if he has the authority to decide how you'll spend your weekends.

"What kind of crap are you talking? I'll decide what to do with my life."

After that, Minghao went silent.

You ate at the expensive restaurant yet it didn't give a good memory at all. Minghao paid the bills and both of you hopped in his car.

"Woah. Your car is so modest," you exclaimed while looking around from the passenger seat.

"Seatbelt," he instructed after starting the engine.

"Okie dokie," you excitedly hummed as you put your seatbelt. This is your first time riding a car like this.

Minghao drives without saying a word. It was unbelievable. He tend to pick fights with you but now he is pursing his mouth. It started after the talk about who'll decide what you wanna do for tomorrow.

'Maybe he is sulking?' you thought. If playing golf will brighten his mood, then you think of accepting his offer. But golf is not your league. Minghao's lifestyle is not for you!

"Hao hao, are you mad because I declined your offer?" You peeked into his unchanging stone-like expression. He looks sexy on the wheel.

Minghao didn't answer. Between the silent, his GPS said: "Turn right." And he made a U turn to the right. This quietness rings on your ears and settled heavy feelings on your chest.

"I'm sorry, okay?" You broke the ice. "It just that, things like gallery, golf and expensive restaurant are not my style. You knew it. Aren't you?"

Again, he played deaf.

"Xu Minghao."

"Next week, I'll manage my dad's company," he cut your words even if you weren't planning to add more next to his name.

"I heard 'bout that!" you exclaimed, thinking that his mood rose up. "Gosh I'm so proud."

"Then starting now, you need to adjust your lifestyle with mine. Learn art, play golf, know what's medium rare and well-done. Memorize wines," he suggested then slowly steps on the brake.

His car is already in front of your house. But you are staring at him, confused.

"And why should I do that?" You asked.

He looked at you and answered, "Cause you'll be my wife next year. We have only nine months to get you prepare of this lifestyle so-"

"BULLSH*T. WHAT KIND OF SH*T ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!"

----------------