#159 (One shot story) "Beauty is a Bliss"

After pressing the heart button and commenting: “You are so pretty!” on a Facebook friend’s profile picture, Maggie murmured to herself, “This ugly girl is trying so hard.”

  “Then why did you compliment her if you think she’s ugly?” Her boyfriend, who’s at the driver seat, tilted his head in wonder. He is a guy who is handsome from the depth of his eyes to the gentle expression of his voice. His silky hair is dyed in red, elegantly like expensive wine. People often speak of the color of his hair, as if that were of importance, yet his would be beautiful in any shade. And even his name: “Jeonghan” sounds so perfect. Everyone who will meet him will wonder if a gorgeous guy like him does exist and they’ll have no choice but to accept it.

  Maggie has been dating this guy for almost a week but still couldn’t help but to feel awe over his Goddess-like face. Therefore, in awe she carefully detached her mouth, “Well, she is trying so hard so I thought that giving her a simple compliment will boost her confidence, even though it was fake.”

  Her boyfriend, whose hands are taking off his seatbelt, gave her an excessively cheerful smile. “Really?” With a little hunch of his shoulder, he said, “Let’s go. My little sister is waiting for us.”

  There are mixed excitement and anxiousness on Maggie while she is walking behind her boyfriend’s shadow. Never did she expect Jeonghan to introduce her to his family this soon not till they finally stood up the  the door's entrance and Jeonghan knocked familiarly.

  “Knock~ Knock~”

  The door opened; with a creak sound it made Maggie put in tense as if she got trapped inside iron box. When she saw the girl standing in front, she was sure to give her a delightful greet yet with Jeonghan’s sister’s appearance, Maggie was forced to shut mouth involuntarily. Why? It was because of that expectation she anticipated.

  Squinting her eyes towards Jeonghan’s sister for the second time, she began to wonder, ‘Jeonghan is handsome so I thought that his sister is pretty too. What is this? They seemed to share different genes.’

  It is true. Unlike Jeonghan who looks perfect from head to toe, his sister, Jill, has features that are normal: A tiny girl with curly and dry hair, huge forehead, thick brows, big eyes, flat nose and bushy pale lips.

    But despite of Maggie’s strained look which is very obvious, Jill still welcomed the two with joy, “Oh! Hi there! You are my brother’s girlfriend right? Nice to meet you!”

  Maggie tried to loosed her strained face. “H-Hi. My name is Maggie. Nice to meet you Ji-” Her words remained unfinished when Jill suddenly tiptoed towards her side. With widened eyes, she whispered, “I love you brown eyes. It’s pretty.”

Pretty brown eyes. Yes, Maggie always hears the same compliment, aware of it and happy to hear it. But there’s something on Jill’s praise that creeps her out. Was it because of her face? Or her thin voice? Whatever it is, she managed to reply, “T-Thank you.”

  “You prepared us our dinner. Right?” Jeonghan asked his sister and Jill nodded with her hands behind her back. “I did. Let’s eat ,” Jill offered then pulled Maggie in.

  They had a simple dinner together while talking about usual things over a meal. When Maggie thought that she finally adapted her surroundings, she asked this question to the siblings. “Are you two really brother and sister?”

As Jill and Jeonghan smiles faded away, Maggie realized that her question was something she mustn’t blurted out. But it’s too late. The two heard it very clearly and they gradually looked at each other. Then they asked the same thing in unison, “Why are you asking about it?”