#169 "Hope by a traitor" (one shot story)

Running into the crowded streets of weekends while wearing an all-white dress as if I am escaping, I was grabbed firmly from someone behind my back. Noises seemed to be put on mute as soon as I laid my eyes on his face.

  “(Y/n),” he asked me with throaty voice.

  Looking at him has recalled past memories that flashback into my head as if everything just happened yesterday.

  Through a glass window was a boy with rounded eyes, long eyelashes, thick brows, porcelain skin and pale lips. I could read from his stare that he had built a wall in his brain with him so lonely on the other side. If only he glazed a glassy layer of tears, I’ll be soon crying in empathy.

    Whenever I walked home from school, I saw this boy sitting on the same spot and time by the window. His name was unknown, but he has beauty that had left permanent image on me, I think I wouldn’t forget even 1000 years had passed.

  ‘Why is he always inside his room? Why isn’t he study like normal kids does?’ I was absorbed by these young thoughts of mine back then.

On the month of May and year of 2005 was an encounter I didn’t expect. It was the day when our neighborhood was louder than usual, costumes lit up a riot of colour to rival any painting. Music filled the air, festive beats lifted the spirits and people wanted to jump, move and sing – It was the time to celebrate the festival. 

  When purple sky shrouded the dawn, I was running in joy so I could see the fireworks display on time. I saw the pretty boy sitting on his bed through the glass window and the barricade after it. Everyone was excited to watch the fireworks display and I was sure he felt the same. And so for the very first time, I called him without saying his name.

  “H-Hey.”

  He looked at me with his eyes sadder than usual. I grabbed the barricade that smell like rust then spoke at him.

  “The purple light crawled the sky. Everyone wears colorful costume and the air is deliciously tasty with foods we can share to our friends. Are you planning to stay all night inside your room?” I carefully asked.

  The boy who was always looks stern has finally smiled at me. I was startled; if it was in animation, I would have had a loud thud next to me.

  “I can’t go out. The door is locked,” he gave me a feeble response. That’s when I set my eyes towards the main door of their house.

  “You’re right. It’s locked from the outside,” I murmured.

  “Can you open it for me?”

  “Huh?”

  “I would love to watch the fireworks display. So can you open the door for me?”

  Without hesitation, I fulfilled his request. The door lock is really simple. It just a stainless trixes that can be pull with a single stroke of hand. However, to my small body, it was once the hardest mission I received before. I saw him peeking at me from the window while I tried so hard reaching the trixes. It was a mission failed of course.

  “I couldn’t reach it,” I reported.

  “You can use a stick,” he suggested while pointing a stick from the side.

  With it, I have finally opened the door, buckled with sweats.

  “The door is open,” I said in cheerful voice.