Chapter 13

My feet dangled from the window, my gaze locked on the star filled sky. My hair was a mess on my head as I'd just woken up from sleep. I tugged on my tank top, my head tilted to rest on the sill.

I suck in a large breath and exhale deeply, letting the cool breeze of the night rush me. I sniff and bite my lip, running my hand through my thick hair.

It's a Tuesday night. Exactly 1:09 am. The exact time I woke up and found the same door of this same house wide open. The exact time I realised my mom went missing.

This same night.

Exactly five years ago.

Keisha Winters. Wife to Kurt Winters. Mother of two missing on 24th April 2015.

It had been the headline of the news for two weeks. I was so lost and so mad. Everyone at this stupid school teased me about it. Telling me stuff about how I was a loser because my mom left my dad for some other guy.

I got bullied terribly because of it. My brother was depressed. He was closer to mom and it really took a toll on him. Dad became so distant at that time, he thought it was true and couldn't face anyone again.

Most of the times I spent at Luke's or Min-Jun's place. Just to get away from everything. I was so hurt. I spent all my nights crying and getting a terrible headache when I woke up. Dad and Kyler still hanged around and tried their best to be happy and make me happy.

I got so angry one day when some guy came up to thirteen year old me and started laughing in my face about my mom bring a whore.

All I could see was red and I punched him. I broke his nose and busted his lip. I didn't stop. He was bleeding badly but I didn't stop. I couldn't. He stopped struggling but I didn't stop. He showed no sign of life buy I didn't stop.

I would have probably killed him if Min-Jun didn't pull me away. Then the news of the boy in a coma reached everywhere. What thirteen year old me did. No one wanted to come near me again.

Then I found out that I had anger management. I had to go for therapy for two months. That was when my demon was released.

I found it fascinating what I could do with people. I became a weirdo. A demonic weirdo. Then we moved to Ridgeview. That's where I met the guys. The only friends I had even though they knew what I did to that kid.

I blow out a breath, a sudden movement in River's room and then the light flicked on. He walked around for a while then walked towards his window. Pulling apart his curtains his eyes widen as he sees me. He pushed open his window and takes a deep breath. Rubbing his eyes from sleep, he asked in a gruff voice, sending shivers down my spine.

Not from fear, but from something I couldn't recognise.

"Kai? What are you doing up at.." He paused to check his phone "1:28 am in the morning?" I shrug "Couldn't sleep, you?" He answers the same, "Couldn't sleep either"

We stare at each other for a while before he breaks his gaze and pulls on his jacket. "C'mon, let's go for a walk" I smile and turn, jumping back into my room. I grab my hoodie and shrug it on.

I walk downstairs, gently opening the front door. As I lock it, I see River walking up to me. A small smile plays on his lips, I hug my hoodie tighter. We start walking down the street, the cold wind whipping through my hair.

There's a comfortable silence between us, I squeeze my phone tighter in my fist. This was how we were all outside, running and searching when I woke dad and Kyler up, I just stood with a neighbour, I was shaking, I couldn't move or talk.

A thought comes to mind and I burst out laughing, disrupting the silence of the night. River stops and eyes me suspiciously, "What's so funny?" I shake my head, my laughter dying down.