Chapter 51

First day of school always has to be one's worst day. Either you're going into a new class, or resuming a new term or a new school, it's always dreadful.

Just like how today had been, it didn't move as fast as I thought would. River and Luke had been by me all the way, skipping into every class that they didn't have with me just to watch me.

Some people had looked at me weirdly because of the bandage around my head and the small cuts that adorned my skin. Miss Roxanne had asked about Neferankh, obviously the news was still spreading and rapidly, especially amongst the teachers. Most of them had actually called me to ask how I'm doing, sharing my pain and asking me how I'd been taking care of myself and my child. It was awkward.

I had fallen asleep in my AP Calculus class and the teacher had let me, and also let the whole class sleep, and after the class, she had told me how it's also hard for her to be awake for class when she has a son to take care of in the middle of the night.

And then lunch time, the three bears had tried to attack me but Luke and River had stuck up for me, even Piper.

Then the next classes were painfully long, and hard.

I hadn't realized that being away from school had made me so used to sleeping my afternoons off in River's arms that I kept falling asleep in most classes, but I was pardoned.

Head injury, thank you!

Over all, it was a horrible day.

But Luke had made it up with a bowl of ice cream, a bag of Cheetos and some Kit Kats. River actually thought I might one day Rob the company of all it's goods.

I actually might.

River had gone to see his mother, I guess she was having some crisis about her husband being absent for such a long time.

She acted as such a teenage girl, River had rolled his eyes when she called him in a panic.

Turns out Lisa forgot that her anniversary was today and her husband, Luigi had been planning for this with the boys and Rivera had assisted with buying the gifts and everything.

The party was going to be tommorow night and Luigi had invited me, without even knowing who I was.

Luke and I were going to his house, Nova was getting closer to her day and I was more than excited to see Baby Kai.

We had arrived here for a while, me trying to clear my vision from the black spots that were clouding it. "You okay?" He asks, his fingers grazing my cheek and I swallow, nodding.

"Yeah, let's go." I say and he looks at me a little longer before opening his car door. I open mine and step out, tugging my shirt down.

"Mom, I'm home!" Luke yells as the door opens, walking to the kitchen.

"Son, why are you home so early?" I hear Marc ask and I roll my eyes. "Dad, it's three thirty, school closed thirty minutes ago." Luke draws out carefully and I hear Marc smacking the back of his head.

"Oh shut up, and go drop your backpack in your room, then greet your mother, she has been super emotional and eating a lot of pickles. I feel like she's trying to punish me since I'm allergic to pickles and I can't kiss her." He grumbles and I burst out laughing.

His head pops out from the kitchen and he stares at me with wide eyes.

"Oh, Kai, I didn't know you were here, I didn't mean that, and I definitely do not need to kiss her so you did not hear anything." He dismisses and I laugh, clapping him on the shoulder.