Chapter 36

My eyes burn and I keep staring, trying hard not to blink.

Stupid people will always do stupid things.

Yes, yes I just called myself stupid.

Why?

Because, I'm in a stare down with Luke.

He makes a face that tells me he's going to blink any moment soon, and a victorious grin comes over my face when he finally closes his eyes, groaning in pain.

I pop a gum in my mouth and chew, laughing inwardly at how he failed.

"How do you always win?" He asks, rubbing his eyes, "Um, I don't know, maybe it's because YOU ALWAYS LOSE!" I laugh at him and he scowls.

"Haha, very funny." I roll my eyes and smack him with his beanie.

"So, what's going on with you and River?" He asks, eyeing the gum I stuffed into my pocket. I narrow my eyes at him, chewing slowly.

"Why do you think something is going on between the both of us?" I ask him and he bites his lip, probably holding back from saying something.

"I mean, Kai come on, it was so obvious that something happened between the both of you that night, and I bloody well know that the guys left you and him alone so what aren't you talking about?"

I look away, the kiss still fresh in my memory, it was like I could still feel his lips on mine.

Yes, you guessed it, we haven't had any kisses since then.

I feel so awkward talking about this right now.

But you're talking to yourself, how could it be awkward?

Because I'm talking to myself about a kiss I had with a boy I-

You know what? Forget it, I'm not having this conversation with you.

But I'm you!

Shut it conscience!

I stare at him, the look in his eyes made me want to run out of here screaming like a mad man that I kissed River.

I close my eyes and bite my lip, feeling his touch on my skin, carefully caressing the skin on my cheek, lips, his soft lips hovering over my own lips, his eyes searching mine, teasing me.

I open my eyes back and stare at him, his blue eyes looking at me with amusement laced in them. "So, how was the kiss?" He asks and my eyes widen.

"What?" I ask and shove his face, looking around the room. He removes my hand and laughs at my face.

"So you did kiss?" His eyes lighting up and I groan, "You didn't know did you?" He nods.

"So my reaction gave it all to you, right?" He nods again, laughing at me.

"Oh shut it, or I'll go get April Freeman, how about that?" He immediately tenses and looks away, pink running up his neck.

I laugh at him and stand up when I notice it was getting a little late.

"Come on, let's go." I grab his hand and his beanie, walking out of the store.

I tug on my shirt, looking around for where we want to go to. "Where do you want to go now?" He asks and I shake my head, not gunning of anything, and besides, I have to get home to Neferankh.

"Home, we'll stop by yours and I'll just walk home." I say and he frowns but eventually nods, knowing that this is a common thing among us.

I walk over to the car and open it, getting settled as I wait for Luke to get in. I pull out my phone, texting River.