Chapter 50

My phone pings right beside my ear and I groan, reaching my hands to pick it. When I grab it, I realize that it's not my phone, but River's. I glance around for him but don't find him anywhere, so I glance at the caller ID. It was an unknown number and I groan, throwing the phone back on the bed as i turn the pillow over and use it to cover my ears.

When that doesn't work, I violently get up from the bed, grabbing the phone and storming down the stairs. I stomp into the living room but don't see anyone then I walk into the kitchen and see River hovering over some pots.

I'm tempted to throw the phone at his head but decide against it, instead, I walk to him, tapping his shoulder.

He turns around, staring down at me, I shove the hand that was holding the phone in front of him and he looked down, finding the reason behind my scowl.

He carefully plucks the phone out of my grasp and pulls me to him by my waist, planting a kiss on my forehead.

He holds me to him for a little longer, almost like an apology since it has me relaxing into him and soon my lids starts to get droopy, my knees give out and his hands travel under my arms, picking me up.

I rest my head in the crook of his neck and breathe in his scent. A smile gets plastered on my face as I let myself succumb to the sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I wake up, looking directly into Lynx's eyes, the cat was upside down, playing with a ball of yarn when she paused and looked at me. I heard Neferankh's giggles from the bathroom and stand up, looking at my alarm clock.

6:47 a.m.

That's so unlike me, I always wake up at the verge of tte school ringing. It's my thing. I blame it all on that kid that lives next to us, what's his name again? Randolph? Robin? Ryder? I don't care. He needs to be dealt with.

The door opens and River walks out with Neferankh wrapped in her pink towel, hair wet and a big smile on her face.

A frown takes over my face as I stare at him but I try to relax since I guess I trust him. I force a smile to my face as I walk to him and carry Neferankh,  kissing her forehead.

"How does a two year old baby wake up before her own mother?" River asks with a chuckle and I look at him.

"You try to father a child that doesn't listen and two grown men that are even worse." I say and turn away, running the towel over Neferankh's hair.

"Kai?" He asks but I ignore him, walking to the closet to get her clothes. He grabs my arm and I look up at him.

"What's wrong?" He asks, a genuinely confused looked on his face.

"I just, I don't feel comfortable when it isn't me that gave Neferankh her bath, I just," I stop and look down.

"Hey, it's okay, I just don't want to bother you when you were asleep and I'm sorry." He says as he cups my face.

"I just feel insecure like she's gonna be taken away from me or soemthing." I say as I walk to her, pulling her shirt over her head.

"Please, the only place I'd be taking this cutie is the ice cream parlor, she'll be as fat as the moon when we get back." He says and I roll my eyes, laughing to myself.

*******

I let my hair down, looking at myself in the mirror, I straighten my shirt and blink slowly.

"I just wanna sleep." I murmur and pick up my backpack, walking out of the room. I hear dad, River and Luke's voice down in the living room along with Neferankh saying something's to Lynx.