Chapter 40

The first thing I hear when I gain consciousness is shuffling of feet, it even drained out the usual noise of the beep.

Beep.

Beep.

Beep.

Ah, there it is.

My eyes flutter open and the first thing I see is the blinding light from the ceiling.

I know I'm in a hospital, I know it from the smell.

"Kai?" A voice asks, I blink. Fluttering my lashes as my vision tries to re-adjust to the light and brightness of the room.

My eyes turn, searching frantically for the person who spoke.

My eyes land on blue eyes, black thick hair.

Luke.

He had his hand in a cast, telling me that he broke it. My eye remain on him until I start coughing uncomfortably.

My chest burns and I try to pound my chest to stop the irritation. He leaves my sight and comes back with a glass of water, putting it to my lips.

I greedily gulp down the cool liquid, loving the way it calms the burns in my throat and chest.

When I don't feel any more liquid in my mouth, I assume that the water is finished. Luke pulls it away and I swallow, biting my lip as I try to sit up.

He helps me and when I can move my neck, I see him glaring at me.

"The next time you do something that stupid, I swear to all things holy, I will so whoop your ass." He snarls and my eyes widen.

"What happened?" I ask, my voice cracking from however long I haven't used it.

"You came barrelling into my room and started screaming like a deranged banshee!"  He yells, throwing his good arm in the air.

I shrink back at the tone in his voice. "Apparently, they said my heart stopped and you screamed for me, then passed out and magically, my heart started beating again." He murmurs the last part.

A smile flashes against my.face and I reach out to him, pulling him in for a hug.

"I don't know what I'd have done if I lost you." I whisper against his shoulder.

"Me neither, but you're here now and I'm here, no crying, you know you're an ugly crier right?" He says and I smack his chest lightly making him laugh.

He places a kiss on my forehead and I look up at him, "I'm glad you're back bozo." He rolls his eyes and nudges my arm.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"This is really good fofu Nova, you're the best!" Nigel says, chewing as he talks.

"Stop being such a child, chew, swallow, then talk." Adrian says and Nigel rolls his eyes.

"Whatever you say big guy." He retorts.

I was going to be released in a few days, the doctor said that my body healed rather quickly and that I may just be able to go home if I don't do any strainous activities.

No boxing for me then.

My eyes wander to Luke, sitting there in all his glory as his mum feeds him, he makes a face when she doesn't look, telling me how embarrassing it must feel to be fee in the midst of everyone by your mom.

But me, ah, I'm loving every second of it.

I let my eyes travel to River who sat there by my dad, eating and talking lowly, almost like they don't want anyone to find out what they're talking about.