Chapter 3

Pulling up to the large house I felt on overwhelming sense of safety.  I hadn't felt any overwhelming feelings in years but this was the only place I have ever felt safe.  Even at my apartment I have locks on my windows, cameras and 5 locks on my door. 

I grabbed my bag throwing in my phone and exited the car.   I stretched out my tired limbs but smiled at the structure ahead.   I honestly hadn't realised how much I have missed being here.  College was essential to complete the courses I had dreamed of taking but it hadn't fulfilled me as much as I thought it would. 

Before I had chance to move any further, the front door opened and out walked Derek.   He had a wide smile on his rugged face.   He was handsome, not model worthy handsome but his kindness and openness made everyone gravitate to him. 

He had warm brown curly hair soft wife brown eyes with a wide defined chin but even when immaculate he always had a 5'oclock shadow.   He stood at 6ft2 and was nearly as wide, he could appear intimidating but as he threw open his arms I just saw home. 

I felt his strong arms encasing me in his warmth and I relished his embrace.  I leant back to look up to him.  "I hadn't realised how much I missed you" I said.

"Kiddo your like a breath of fresh air" he squeezed me a little more then released me to guide me into our home.  We walked into the bright hallway that had a sweeping staircase straight ahead.

To the right was a large tv room and had splashes of Dereks favourite colour, orange.  It was normally filled with Jacob and his soccer friends.  Although Gerry knew nothing about soccer he had been hoodwinked into being the coach and had been a roaring success.  This meant most of the time the whole team hung out at our house. 

I followed Derek through to the left through our dining room and into the largest room in our house.   Our kitchen was huge the island stretched out on one complete side and sat 12 people.  Gerry wanted to have room to home as many kids as possible.  They had a few foster kids that had stayed temporarily and I knew Derek was considering retirement from his vet practise to focus on fostering. 

We had a breakfast nook just off the to side of the kitchen and we had a couple of sofas down the right side and we spent most of our time in this room.  I heard Derek grabbing some mugs and I knew coffee would be arriving shortly. 

I fell into the sofa toed off my converse curling my feet underneath just as Derek arrived with my cuppa.  "Thanks I have had withdrawal symptoms for your coffee".

Derek smiled and took the seat beside me.  "I know you want to talk but I thought we could get pizza tomorrow night with Gez as I've arranged Jacob to sleep over at Connah's ok"

I curled into my Dad's side I knew he would read between the lines and organise everything without me having to ask.  "Kiddo I told you we were here for when you were ready no pressure.  Nothing you can ever tell us will change how we feel about you or what we think of you.  Always and forever you will be our family and a piece of our heart" he squeezed the crap out of me and I knew they had given me the strength to face my past.

Whilst we sat cuddled on the sofa I told him about Brandon.  Even remembering him was enough to put a shit eating grin on my face. 

I heard them both before seeing them.  Gerry's loud chatter and Jacobs giggles.   The next thing I heard was a scream before a weight landed on me.  "Jacob I need to breath mate" I gasped out. 

"Sis when did you get here?" Jacob had finally released his grip. 

"Not long, we were just waiting for you guys to get home" I glanced toward Gerry who was a little quiet.  "What about I do my special Chilli tonight hey" I asked him.

"Yes" he jumped up punching the air.  "Dad's never make it like you do sis" he grinned. 

"Well, go do any homework I'll prep for dinner and then we'll have a rematch on COD" I told Jacob. 

He ran from the room shouting "your going down Sis prepare for battle" I stood laughing as I heard him slamming his way upstairs.  

"I forgot how loud he can be" I edged my way to Gerry.  "Now why is my Dad acting like he hasn't missed his princess" I stepped right in front of Gerry placing my hand on my hips. 

"Baby girl of course I've missed you but something is wrong" he almost whispered as though he was too scared to speak. 

"There's a few things that are wrong Daddy G but I promised you when I wanted to start putting my pieces together I would tell you.  Well I'm ready.  I want to share my ugly past with the two people I know will help me move forward" tears were falling down his cheeks I knew he would take this harder than me.

"My princess whatever you need.  I love every friggin bone in your body but it killed me to see you living life on the sideline" he grabbed for me as I settled my head into his chest and took a lung full of his citrus and smokey odour. 

We stood there for ages and I knew he just needed to feel me as much as I absorbed his unspoken strength. 

"Right you sappy sacks lets sort dinner and then what about we have a game night with Jacob" Derek asked as he approached the fridge.

"I'll put some potatoes on the grill to go with the chilli and sort some salad" I felt Gerry say.

"Let me shower and unpack and I'll come down and sort dinner and maybe a cheesecake" I let go of Gerry and smiled at them both.   Going back to my car I retrieved my bags and went up to the attic to my room. 

Going into my room I came to a new realisation.  I didn't want to return to college.   I had nearly completed my bachelor in arts and my business degree was online.  I quickly pulled out my laptop and sent an email to my lecturer.  I explained I had a family emergency and requested whether I could submit my final project to him and complete the written work via email. 

I closed my laptop realising that I wanted to enjoy tonight for what it was, family time.  Jumping into my shower I allowed the warm jets to release my stress.  Memories of Brandon flashed through my mind and bubbles of excitement tickled my insides. 

Stepping out of the shower I wrapped in a towel and dug my phone out of my bag.    Opening it I had a message from my diner buddy.

Brandon: Hey I hope you arrived home safe.  I wish I had stayed at the diner longer I've arrived home to chaos.  Whoever said having roommates would be fun :( x

Pria:  I am home safe.   It's good seeing  my dad's and bro and I've had a nice long shower.   All I need now is that pie from the diner lol.   I'm sure some days the chaos is a nightmare and other days they are your salvage you can't lie to me ;) xoxo

Brandon: I'm sure I will agree with you tomoz.  What are your plans for tonight? I wondered if you'd mind me phoning before you hit the sac ;p x

Pria: Dinner with the fam then I have a tinker to pummel on COD.  I would love to chat later though say about 10pm that ok with you x

Brandon: Perfect.   If you play COD my brothers are gonna love you.  Well I'll catch you later I have a meeting xx

Pria: Later xx

I flopped onto on my bed clutching my phone.  I officially have a crush only a few hours after meeting someone.  Duh.  My first every crush.   At least I had taste cause that man was fine.   Giggling I got dressed to go help with dinner.  

Going back downstairs I leant on the doorframe watching the scene ahead.  Gerry had already started the chilli and was dancing around Derek who sat at the island just smiling at the performance.  Gerry was singing away to 'Simply the Best', he always brought light into a room. 

I felt a hand snake around my waist as I leant down to watch Jacob lean into my side as he too watched the show.  It was a beautiful house to live in and I was lucky to have spent 4 years with this delicious couple. 

Jacob and I entered the kitchen, Jacob left my side to slide into a seat next to Derek as I went into dance mode with Gerry.  It was fun to bop around the kitchen while prepping for dinner.  No thoughts, silly singing and cooking in a room full of love.