Chapter 24

Getting home I looked at the clock and it was 9.50pm. I decided I was hungry and suddenly remembered the package. I pulled out my phone to see a couple of missed calls from Derek and a text.

DaddyD: Sorry I missed your call we are on a stakeout mission. Have to go radio silence for a while. Gez is with me and Jacob is on a sleep over x

The package will have to wait I thought as a rumble came from my tummy. I toed off my shoes and headed to the kitchen. Deciding on a salad wrap I prepped the coffee machine also.

As the coffee was getting ready I went upstairs for a quick shower and pulled on my pj's. Comfort was needed so I got out a pair of pink fluffy shorts with a matching jumper. Gerry always called me a marshmallow fluff in this outfit. I went in the bathroom cleaned my face, brushed my teeth and hair.

As I came back out I noticed something on my bed. I hadn't noticed it earlier and a small shiver went up my spine. As I walked to the package it was covered in brown paper with no markings, like the package back in my office.

Something was off. I left the package and dashed downstairs realising my phone was on the island. I stood for a few seconds not knowing who to call as my dads were on radio silence.

I decided to try Marc as I had been with him recently and he may be the closest. I dialled his number.

"Hello shortcake miss me already" he laughed.

"Marc" I whispered. "Petticoat"

"Hexigan" he replied.

"Code red. I need you" is all I said.

"Where are you? What's wrong?" he barked.

"I think someone has been in my home I'm gonna text the address and hide. Be quick please" I clicked off the call.

Marc: 25 Stratton Lane, San Antonio.
Gate code: 45378
Door will be open once your here code word is dolphin xx

I tucked my phone into my bra and opened the door quietly to the basement. Once I found the trip box I switched off the electric. All lights went off. Now I had an advantage if someone was still in the house.

I crept back upstairs and towards the front door listening for any noise. I grabbed the handle on the door and left it open a crack. I returned to the kitchen and slid into the pantry and got a bag of rice and pasta. I opened the rice and gently tossed rice over the floor as I exited the kitchen.

Going over to the basement door I locked it. I then opened the pasta throwing some on the dining room floor and the remainder in the hall.

I made my way slowly up the stairs working my way towards my room. I heard the crunching of rice in the kitchen and knew someone was still here. I continued to my room.

Once inside I made my way to my bed underneath I curled my fingers around my 38 revolver. Once I pulled it out I put it in the back of my waistband and moved to my closet. At the back I pushed a panel to reveal a small panic room.

Once I was inside there was a comfy chair a small fridge with water and through a door a small toilet. It was literally for small periods of time but we had one in each bedroom.

Marc: someone still in house but I am in panic room inside my closet. My room is in the attic stay safe x

After texting Marc I curled up on the chair and waited.

It was only 15 minutes later that I heard some noise. Someone was moving around the house but I kept quiet. The next moment the lights came on and I saw a slither of light from the bottom of the panic room door.