Chapter 41

Raven and Corey had gone out to get some food and some things to make our stay in the waiting room more comfortable. Axel had gone to find Dr Roberts to ask him any further updates and check he was overseeing my dads care.

Marc was talking quietly with Jacob whilst I was stood looking out of the window. Brandon had his arms around my waist with his head laid on my shoulder in quiet sustenance.

I was playing over the information from the Doctor and was trying to reinforce my emotions to stop the building panic.

At the sound of the door opening I turned my head. Noticing the doctor I jerked out of Brandon's embrace.

"Derek is now in a room a few doors down and can take a couple of visitors before we give him some pain killers and sleeping tablets" I looked to Jacob and held out my hand.

He shook his head and then looked to the floor. I walked to him quickly then bent to be at eye level. "What's wring champ?" I asked.

"I'm not sure I want to see him with injuries" he whispered.

"You don't have to come in now. Remember that anything he has currently will be temporary he will get better. You can stay here it's always up to you. I will be with you" I said reaching to his hand and giving it a squeeze.

He looked up at me with a few tears rolling down his cheek. I saw the dread in his gaze. "Don't let me go" he said. I nodded and stood and looked to the doctor.

He turned and we followed him out of the room.  Jacob held firmly to my hand and it was awkward getting through the doorway.  He allowed me to go in first and I held my reaction not wanting to upset Jacob further. 

I walked us both to the side of the bed.  Jacob half hid behind me as I took in my Dad.  He was bruised so much, his left eye was swollen and I could see the edging of bandages on his chest. 

I took a deep breath as sickness swirled within me.   I reached out tentatively with my hand and placed it gently on his arm.   His eyes slowly lifted, he was paled and so obviously tired. 

"Baby girl" he spoke it a whisper.   I travelled my hand down his arm and held his hand. 

"You've been galavanting without me" i tried to keep the humour in my voice but I was fighting so many emotions. 

I felt Jacob move around me "Dad" the emotion was clear in his voice. 

Dad moved his head to Jacob and a tear fell over his injured face.  "Champ don't you worry it looks worse than how I feel.   I'm just extremely tired.   Once I've had some sleep and some decent food I'll be able to talk more" I squeezed his hand.

"Don't be difficult for the doctors I know what kind of patient you are" I said.  "We're gonna let you sleep and we shall be back soon" I explained. 

"Yeah tell Gez I will give him grief tomorrow" a limp laugh drifted out from him.

"Yes of course rest Dad, I love you" I released Jacob a moment and kissed his head before taking a step back to let Jacob speak to him. 

"Hey bud you be strong you need to make sure your Sis doesn't try to do everything herself.   Make sure she eats" Jacob reached over and gave my Dad a gentle hug and I watched as his back shook a couple of times.   Knowing he was getting upset I reached and placed a hand to his back.

"Come on champ well bring his favourite breakfast muffins tomorrow" I said.   I wanted to avoid further conversation about Gerry knowing my Dad needed to feel better before unloading that on him. 

As I turned I felt Jacob plaster himself to me again.  It was heart breaking seeing my happy go lucky brother struggling. 

As we got back to the waiting room the doctor had returned. I let Jacobs hand go to rub my temples, a headache was forming and I think it was my efforts to box in my emotions.

"Miss Johnson, we have taken Mr G Johnson's surgery went well.   He is now in a room opposite Mr D Johnson.  He hasn't regained consciousness yet the next 24 hours will give us further answers.   He has no other long term injuries but has extensive bruising.  You are welcome to use this room as it is close but we ask you to let them both rest now until morning.  If you need anything the nurses station is at the end of this corridor to the left" he smiled slightly and retreated out of the room. 

I felt completely numb, as if when the doctor started talking my body had gone into lockdown.  I noticed everyone has returned and there were some styrofoam boxes on the table.

"Pria" I looked to Axel who looked haunted but I couldn't process anything at the moment.  "Try and have a little food.   Raven has some blankets and pillows in the corner.  We will all stay here and see what the morning news is for them both ok" I nodded and took a seat next to Jacob. 

"I'm not hungry" he whispered.  I reached over and squeezed his hand. 

"I'm not either champ but we have to otherwise the stress from everything will take over and we won't be able to see Dads tomorrow" I reached out and looked through the boxes. 

I gave Jacob an omelette and a box of fruit with a water bottle.   I took an omelette as well and a chocolate muffin.  Marc reached out with a large travel mug I knew would be brimming with his coffee.  I smiled as I took the mug and felt his finger gently caress mine.

I managed the omelette but left the muffin for later as I leant back to sip the coffee.  I felt somewhat satisfied that I had seen Derek and although he looked he'd done a few rounds with Rocky he was safe.

Gerry.   Well I'm not even sure how to process thinking about Gerry.   I knew once Derek was awake I would need to update him on Gerry and that I was dreading. 

Derek wouldn't cope without Gerry they were two halves to a whole.  Gerry pulled Derek out of his work and into life.   Sighing I rubbed at my head again knowing this headache was settling in for the night. 

I saw a hand coming into my peripheral view.  I turned my head to see Corey and as I looked into his hand I noticed a couple of tablets. "Headache?" he asked.

"Thank" I smiled sweetly taking the tablets. Axel was moving the chairs around and made a small bed.

"Jacob this can do for later when we force you to sleep for a while" Axel went over and placed a hand to his shoulder. He just nodded.

"Brandon, Marc and Corey are going to yours to make up some bags for your Dad's, Jacob and you. They will also stock up on some water and get some fresh coffee on the way back. Ok love?" Axel asked me. I nodded.

Brandon, Marc and Corey came over and I stood as they all gave me a hug.  No one said anything as they knew at present nothing really could be said.

Raven took out a laptop and sat beside Jacob as I watched the screen I could see him loading some kind of fighting game.  I felt a slight nudge to my arm.  

I looked at Axel "Come for a walk with me.  Raven will stay with Jacob and redline me if he needs us" I nodded knowing that it was better than just sitting.