Chapter 17

It's only a few days until my 21st birthday and I'm feeling panicked. The studio looks fantastic. I have the gallery showcasing three local artists and a sculptor from Miami. I stumbled over the sculptor on Facebook and he came and set up two pieces last week.

I have still to find someone to manage the coffee shop but I have found an art student who wants to work part time and a single mum also to work part as barristers. An Academy member approached me about her daughter who was a keen baker. After tasting her cakes I quickly secure her as my delicatessen supplier.

Derek and Gerry are going to help out at the coffee shop if needed. The coffee shop i hope to hand someone to run separately so I can hopefully concentrate on the galleries and classes.

I'm so nervous at present I'm considering postponing the opening. I've graduated at the Academy and officially joined my dads team.

It's been interesting learning how Gerry is our technical computer whizz. When he isn't on missions he is also a trainee at HQ. He also spends his spare time sourcing and researching gadgets and tech that may help Academy members with missions.

Derek is a tactical and languages expert. He also helps out with training and has an extensive medical knowledge although not certified. I balance out the team with my weapons and combat expertise but I trump Derek with my languages. I've also found an affinity with stealth and lock picking.

Missions weren't as expected although Dads have said Academy are selective what missions we are assigned until I build my experience. I assisted the Williams team a few weeks ago. They were an all dog team who needed a bird to get close to someone they suspected was close to a gun smuggler.

They needed bugs and surveillance equipment setting up at his home. So I was to keep him from going home. Probably the first male contact since Brandon and whilst he was stroking my arm I fought the urge to punch his lights out.

Sessions with Jay had drifted after he realised it became unlikely for him to be able to beat me in our sparring. We did circuits together and more fitness and weight training. We were friends but I don't think his fragile male ego could take me kicking his ass any longer.

I avoided sessions with Raven and started to check with Jay to make sure he wasn't at the gym when I visited. It wasn't that difficult as I only went once a week now. I'm not entirely sure why I was avoiding Raven but I'd had a few coffees with Marc and we'd started to became friends. It had even developed to texting each other but he had mentioned a girlfriend that things weren't good with but we both had agreed we only wanted to be friends.

Derek and Gerry had taken the lead organising my opening night for the studio and my birthday. To be honest I had few friends and they had mixed invitations with Academy members and local business owners.

It was currently Thursday and I had just been on a run and was soaking in the bath. The last year has been a roller coaster I don't think there hasn't been a day that wasn't chaotic. I preferred that though.

Although many things had dropped into place I was feeling a little hollow. My therapy sessions had helped me evaluate my past and finally let go of certain issues. What surprised me was when we discussed Brandon and our break up. I had not really spoken to anyone about our short time together but when we did it opened up many wounds.

It made me realise how angry I was at him. Although we had only had sex that one time it had been a big deal for me. I hadn't been intimate with anyone by choice and felt that my time with Brandon was similar to someone loosing their virginity. I had let him in so easily and so completely it had shattered me.