Chapter 44

Walking back into the room I wasn't surprised with the choices for breakfast. It made me smile how thoughtful these men were.

I managed a couple of pancakes and decided against coffee and chose fruit juice instead. I took Jacob to one side and explained that he was going to see Derek and I was going to see Gerry, whether the doctors agreed or not. I needed to be close to him.

The guys explained they were going to go through all the information they had with Phil. There was the Jackson and Blackbourne team already taking over the reigns of the investigation whilst the Toma team offered us support.

Axel said he wanted to keep atop of the investigating event if not directly involved currently. I asked if we could discuss the details at a later date so I could focus on my Dad's but if it was urgent I made them promise to tell me.

They were staying in the hospital for the meeting so if I redlined them they would be back immediately. We walked Jacob to Derek and they were continuously asking if I wanted one of them to stay. I explained I wanted to talk to my Dad on my own but I would look forward to them coming back. That seemed to appease them as they left me outside Gerrys door.

As I entered the room I noticed it identical to Derek's. His condition was similar to Derek's also except for the tubes and the bandage to his head. He was pale of what skin I could see.

The bile threatened to escape but I knew that I couldn't loose my hold on things. I approached the bed and took a seat pulling his hand to me.

"At times like this I wish I was religious so I could pray for you. Although if I started quoting the lord you would think I'd lost my marbles" I smiled at the thought.

"I've never quite told you how grateful I am that you took me in. I cannot tell you how much you changed my life or how much you changed me. I know many could have helped me physically and maybe mentally but I mean how you changed me completely" I sighed remembering the early days.

"I was so hard to reach. Always pushing you away. Always afraid. Neither of you gave up but it was you that took out that first brick. I saw how you used humour to try and make me think of anything other than my past. You always smiled. Whether I cried, shouted or screamed. Your kindness was so foreign to me and I was so scared that it was a mirage of the truth. I only believed in pain. Pain told me I was alive and I didn't think anything else was important. I used to praise myself each day I survived"

My thumb traced over the skin of his hand as I continued to talk.

"You and Derek tore down everything I believed and showed me a reality I never knew I deserved. Love was something I had no concept on. Now I have it I'll be damned if I ever let it go. Thank you for being my friend, my support, my Dad and my everything. Now after all that I need you to remember that there are two other people whose world will collapse if you don't open those pretty eyes" I wiped at my tears.

"I love you Daddy G. Come back to me" the sobs started as I felt a slight twinge in my Dad's hand.

I swirled on my chair to jump and find a nurse to see Derek held up by Raven, Jacob and all the other guys. Jacob, Corey and Derek were also crying whilst the others looked very close.

"I felt his hand move" I whispered. My noise seemed to move everyone. Jacob ran to me, Raven helped Derek to a chair on the opposite side of the bed as Brandon and Marc ran off. I presume to find a nurse.

I held Jacob as he cried and rubbed his back. I led him to sit on my knee as Brandon and Marc followed a nurse back into the room.

She checked his vitals and said she had paged the doctor.  She said it was promising to have signs of him waking but it still might take a few hours.