Chapter 69

We slept longer knowing we had the mountain to climb. Derek gave us extra fruit and the last of the coffee and gave me a sachet of sugar. "You'll need the extra energy. We have to go straight over it will take too long going around" he explained.

We packed up and again were meticulously about covering any tracks.

The mountain took us two days. We tried to sleep but with no tent and such a hard surface we both struggled. I officially hate fucking mountains.

Once we were descending my calves screened. I stopped Derek. "Let me take that for the last mile or so" I said motioning to the backpack.

Derek nodded and passed it over. I respected him more in that moment than any of the time's he had helped me. He treated me as part of his team not like a inferior female.

I gritted my teeth as the backpack was solid. We made our way down and as soon as we hit the grass Derek moved us into the trees. We sat getting our breath and I slid the backpack off.

We sat and listened and then he moved close to me. He leaned in "we need to be careful this is the only remote location a helicopter can land. If Pierre has any brains this area would be scoped out. Although I'm hoping he is too concerned with his own escape to worry about us" he leant away from me and I put a thumbs up.

We sat for what I guess was an hour. Derek leaned in again. "Sleep Pria we aren't moving until it is dark. I will wake you if anything happens" he said. I wasn't arguing and let my eyelids shut.

Derek shook me awake, the tent was up and he handed me a plate of meat, apple and some water.   Once I had eaten he came and sat close.

"I'm going to sleep for a few hours.   Get up in a tree and make sure your armed.   Once I've rested we need to locate the second backpack.  Are you ok?" he asked and I saw his concern. 

"Yes I'm aching a bit but I'm not sore" I said as I got up.  I pulled my gun out of my coat, checked it was loaded.   Grabbing my water I walked a couple of trees away from the campsite but still in view of the tent and climbed.  

I watched Derek clean around the clearing and go into the tent.   I settled again homing my senses to my surroundings and focussed.

The next few hours were uneventful before I noticed Derek moving.   As he was packing away the tent I moved down the tree towards him. 

"Hey.  The backpack is no more than a few trees in and we're looking for a tree with a mark on it.   That tree will be three trees away from where the backpack is ok.  But be extra careful with our surroundings" he explained. 

I let him pick up the backpack and started moving around looking at the trunk of trees.

This was hideous.   So many trees and each one took so long to check for a slight mark.   I was tired from the frustration and tried my best to be compose myself. 

I clicked my neck and moved to another tree.  I felt a hand move to my shoulder and looked to Derek with a shared look of frustration.

We moved again getting close and personal with the bark.  I made a decision that if I make it back to my boys they weren't taking me camping for a long long time.  

As I moved my finger over the current tree I noticed something.  I froze.   I took my finger back and noticed a tiny d.   I wanted to scream and slammed my hand over my mouth. 

Derek appeared at my side and as we locked eyes we both smiled.   Derek took the left and I took the right searching the surrounding trees. 

I heard the rustling of leaves behind me and swung around to see Derek holding a rucksack.  I smiled and waved my arms.    I could see Derek laughing.