Chapter 48

It felt like I had been scraping away at the putty for forever. Every noise had me stopping to listen for footsteps. It was dark outside and I could feel the pane had loosened.

Looking around the area it seemed in the middle of nowhere. If I go on foot I was risking being caught quite easily. Outside the window was the flat roof of the garage. I would have a better chance of escaping if I can get hold of a vehicle.

I slid the knife into the side of the pain and put slight pressure on the glass. Once the blade had moved behind the pane I moved it up and down. Feeling the pane loosen more I pulled it towards me and away from the window frame.

It fell towards me and I grabbed the glass. Gently pulling it free I slid the glass under the bed. Wiping the blade I placed it back into my boot and slipped out of the window gently lowering onto the flat roof.

There was another window next to my room. I moved over and carefully peaked into the window. It was an office with bookshelves up one side and a large desk to the other.

Making a quick decision I tested the window and found it open. Pulling myself up I manoeuvred through the open window into the office and closed it behind me.

Now it was a waiting game. I crawled underneath the desk and made myself as small as possible.

I could hear arguments and foot fall just as the darkness lifted a little outside. Shouting was heard before a door breaking. Someone was in the room I'd just been in. More shouting and someone landing on the flat roof.

The shouting increased with "Find her" "Now" "Go" and "He's gonna kill us if we don't find her". None of the voices I recognised as Slice or Beast and my decision to hide rather than run was haunting me.

I heard running down the stairs and doors banging as it went quiet. I needed to make a move and quietly came out of hiding. Tiptoeing to the door it was open a creak and I saw or heard no movement.

I crept down the hallway to the stairs. Lowering onto my stomach I moved down a few steps to get a view of downstairs. I again saw no one. Getting up I made my way silently down the stairs and into the kitchen.

On the island were a couple of mobile phone but as I manoeuvred around the island my foot hit something. As I looked down I saw Slice, throat cut and lying in his own blood. My stomach clumsily rolled as my hand went to my mouth.

I checked his pockets and found some car keys. I grabbed one of the mobiles and again peaked through the door to the garage.

The car we had arrived in was still in the garage and no one was around. I moved quickly into the garage and tried the keys in the ignition. Perfect. I moved to the manual ratchet to open the garage door and slowly opened it a crack.

Laying on the floor I looked to the outside and again saw no one. They must be running around the forest and the surrounding area. I shot back up and moved quickly to open the garage door.

As soon as it was open enough I jumped into the car started the engine and flew out of the driveway. Looking around I noticed everywhere was unfamiliar.

I drove through a few estates and passed a couple of shops. I decided I was ready to make a call and pulled into a quiet side street.  Grabbing the phone i wondered who to call.  I would need to ditch this phone and car soon so I rang who I knew would have the capabilities to get a location for me ASAP.

I rang Corey.  He answered and I heard the impatience in his voice. 

"Corey it's Pria, listen quickly.   I've no idea where I am but I'm ditching this phone soon.   I won't be able to hide for long the sun is nearly up, trace this phone and you'll know which town I'm in.  I shall try and pickpocket another phone and ring you again and hopefully have found somewhere to hide" I explained.