Chapter 12

Dinner had been a quiet family affair as Jacob controlled most of the conversation.  I was grateful as it helped me stay out of my head and lessened my worrying. 

I had gone up to my room early and soaked in a bath.   Brandon had rang to wish me luck.   I hadn't explained my full concerns with Mr Stuart but he was aware he made me uncomfortable.   He made me promise to call if anything happened.  

I had to interrupt our chatting as the water in the bath had been cold.  I swear when Brandon realised I was in the bath he growled.  I smiled at the affect I had on him.  

We chatted until I was sleepy and I curled up going to sleep holding my phone. 

Waking to my 5am alarm I felt drained.  I knew I would wake this way and purposely did an early alarm so I could fit in a run.   I placed some egg stuffed peppers to roast slowly as a thank you to Derek and some bacon muffins for Gerry. 

Heading out it was chilly this morning and I decided I would go on the steepest trail as I only want to stay out for 40 mins but i wanted the exertion also.

Arriving back at home I checked the oven and had 20 minutes.   Quickest shower ever.    I dried my hair and put it in a tight bun and went back downstairs in my robe.   Checking the clock it was only 6.25am.  I decided to drop Brandon a quick text.

Pria: Morning DB I'm feeling a little apprehensive but knowing I have such back up has made my nerves dwindle xxx

I unexpectedly had the sense to tell him I loved him.  I held back I thought maybe it was a bit early and I didn't want to tell him the first time via text. 

Taking our goodies out of the oven everyone arrived.  Derek headed to the coffee pot as Jacob and Gerry laid the table.  "Anything else Sis?" Jacob asked.

"Just juice and some fruit it's already prepped in fridge" I explained. 

As we finished breakfast Derek said to go get dressed then meet him in the office.  I had thought long and hard about my outfit today.   I dressed in black pants and a white blouse.   I grabbed my silk red blouson jacket and put on my black ankle boots.   I felt I was smart as well as being conservative.   I put on a simple mascara and lip gloss.   I didn't want Mr Stuart thinking I had made any effort at all.

Going downstairs Gerry and Jacob we're both at the door.  "Have a good day at school champ" Jacob saluted my way before going through the front door.

Gerry came over dragging me into a hug.  "Take no risks princess I'm gonna be on pins all day" he whispered.   He left after Jacob and then I made my way to Dereks office. 

"Right kiddo I want to put the tracker in your boot" he leant down and slid a small silver circle into my boot.   "Is that ok?" he asked.

"Yeah can't feel a thing" I reassured him. 

"I've stuck it to the inside of your boot if your uncomfortable just move it slightly.   Right hand me your phone" he held out his hand palm up. 

I placed my phone in his hand.  "I have 2 people on standby they are working a few streets from the gallery but have the freedom to leave if anything happens.  There names are Harry and Liam Anderson, basically all you have to do is press the red line button i installed, it will automatically alert me, Gerry, Henry and Liam.  If you need advice or it's not urgent ring either of them.  No texting it's not as reliable.  Any questions?" It didn't surprise me how serious Derek was being so I stopped myself from teasing. 

"Yes all clear and I'm sure everything will be fine as were in public" I tried to reassure him again.

He walked towards me and held my shoulder in his hands he looked at me seriously.  "Don't hesitate Pria if any concerns listen to your gut.   We cannot keep you safe if you don't accept your not invincible" he said.