Chapter 65

Pierre led me to a large room fitted out to look like a gallery.  Champagne was given to us as we entered and I was introduced to many people I had only imagined I would meet.  Pierre seemed to warp into the man I was used to.   Suave, sophisticated and charming. 

He worked the room and indulged in conversation relating to John Claude the artist that was being celebrated and one of the first commissioned by Pierre.  

John Claude has died a mere week ago and many here were in honour of his work.   Most I would say were here for networking or exposure reasons.   I myself was in awe at the company whilst not loosing sight of my goal.  To stay alive.

Pierre approached a tall women with Raven black hair.   He took her hand kissing her knuckles and introduced her as Carmel Sanrorini.   I smiled as she engaged Pierre in a whispered conversation giggling flirtatiously.   I studied the beautiful woman watching as she stroked Pierre's arm noting how familiar she was. 

I laughed.  The loudest belly juggling laugh as I realised who the woman was.  Pierre glared at me as Carmel looked at me in disgust. 

"Pierre my sweet I think we have some exciting news for Carmel.  Do we have somewhere quiet?" I gently squeezed Pierre's arm and send my flirtiest smile to Carmel.  Carmel aka Kaylie.

Carmel seemed to think I was succumbing to her allure and made it obvious she wanted a connection with Pierre. I decided to play along for now.

Pierre took both of our elbows leading us through the throng of people. He reached a set of double doors to which Derek opened for us. As we entered the room Pierre went to a drinks cabinet and started to pour himself a port.

"Well it looks like I have the two most beautiful women in the room wanting my attention" Pierre said. He was amused.

I walked over to the sofa and sat crossing my legs relaxing my hands on my knee wanting to watch this unfurl.

"Why I'm sure if you give us some privacy I can make sure you have just as much enjoyment as two women. I have some tricks up my sleeve to make it worth your while. Send the tramp away Pierre" Carmel has purred stepping up to Pierre stroking his arm and leaning in to kiss his cheek.

Derek had walked behind the sofa and I watched enjoying seeing Carmel trying to control the situation. Pierre, however had his eyes trained on me. He knew I was aware of something and I wasn't sharing.

"Pierre if you wish to play I'm sure Derek can escort me back to our room" I offered.

"No" he said with a bit too much force. He shook off Carmel's hand and walked towards me. He sat on the sofa and looked at me. Studied me.

"Derek would you take my angel for some food" he asked. I turned towards him smiled and stood waiting for Derek. He took my elbow and we returned to the crowd. He led me towards a buffet table and I helped myself to a small plate of food.

We found a couple of chairs in the corner and I sat eating my selection. An older gentleman caught my eye, he had white hair and soft blue eyes. I gasped. This was Roger Montgomery he made his name as a sculptor but had branched into architecture restoration. He walked towards us smiling.

"Miss Pria I have been seeking you out for a while" I stood to accept his handshake.

"Mr Montgomery it's a pleasure to meet you. I have followed your career with apt interest and my thesis was your earlier sculpting work" I gushed are meeting one of my idols.

"Child you honour me. Do we have the pleasure of seeing some of your work soon?" he asked

"I have been busy setting up my own studio and gallery. But I hope to commission some new pieces soon" he looked pleased.