Chapter 18

Pierre was astonishing company. We'd had a lovely meal and I'd discovered how him and Mr Stuart had been friends with benefits whilst in University. They had lost touch afterwards but when life had put them close again a few years later they had reignited their affair. Again they had lost touch.

On our first meeting Pierre hadn't seen Paul for over a year and had realised how much he had missed him. Unfortunately although Pierre had reached out he has rejected his offers to reconnect.

You could see it affected Pierre and I had opened up about Brandon. I hadn't gone into my past id just said I had an awful upbringing that had made me shy about human connections and sex. Giving myself to Brandon had been more than he will ever know. I will never have the chance to make him realise what he has thrown away.

It brought Pierre and I to a different kind of friendship. I suddenly felt closer to Pierre than any friend I'd had and told him a lot more than anyone other than my Dad's. He seemed relieved also explaining in his position people usually sought his friendship to gain his influence through the art world.

He knew I was different as after he displayed my first piece of art I asked for nothing. I never pursued him after the showcase or pestered him at all. He respected that and it made him reach out to me. I told him that when he was back from Paris he was to come over to the studio for a private tour and I would take him out. He had left saying he was only ever a phone call away.

Treetops with Jacob was the bomb. I hadn't been out with Jacob for a long time. We had spoken about so much and I discovered he had a crush on a classmate called Tegan. She was bright and bubbly with red hair and some other children had been teasing her and he had stood in and tore them down. They were now inseparable and he wanted my help as he wanted to invite her to ours for dinner but he knew our Dads would misbehave.

I laughed. Then I had to explain to him I was laughing at Gerrys reaction. I suggested that we choose a Saturday the dads were busy and invite her to play in the pool and we could do a buffet type of lunch. This would be a bit more relaxed and then she would feel a little less apprehensive when we arranged a dinner with the dads.

Jacob was thrilled with this idea. I did encourage him to tell the dads about Tegan as they would be hurt if not included in his life. He's 12 at the end of the year and I know the Dad's are worried about him and girls.

I'm now on my way to my hair appointment. My first ever. My dad Gerry would give my ends a trim but I wanted to try the whole girly experience. I'd booked in for a trim and a updo. They had told me to wash my hair the day before so I had obliged.

It looked a small place when I first walked up to the shop but as I opened the door the size surprised me. The whole place was white with accents of black everywhere. Large gothic mirrors, low slung chandeliers, black chairs and all the staff wore black.

The only splash of colour were the towels. Stacked in high shelves that covered the back wall was a myriad of colours. They were also displayed like a rainbow and the effect was stunning.

A young raven haired girl greeted me warmly before taking me to a chair and introduced me to my hairdresser, Vivian. Vivian was a transgender and didn't care who knew. She was hilarious and had me chuckling all through my trim. You instantly liked her energy and passion. She then wanted to see photos of my dress before starting.

She covered the mirror and went into the back bringing a hair clips with diamonds on. She explained these would be positioned throughout the hairstyle at the end.

We chatted and she found out how I'd not had a mum or female relative to help me with fashion, hair or make up growing up and she was mortified. I laughed thinking if she knew my past I'd end up spending the day consoling her. Once she finished my hair she said as I still had 3 hours for the party she insisted on doing my make up. She wouldn't charge me for this first time and classed it as a trial make up.