Chapter 68

"How long have we been walking?" I asked. Derek stopped and checked his watch.

"Three hours. I think we have a break now and a snack and we travel another four hours before we camp. Ok?" Derek said peeling the backpack off his back.

I feel like I have hit my head who is this sensible, calm talking person. Where is Derek?

I must have been staring as he looked at me he laughed. Derek laughed. What the hell!!

"Flamingo" was all he said and everything clicked.

"Custard" I said knowing now I was with an academy member. I walked up to him and hit him hard. His head slammed to the side as he fell back.

"What was that for?" Derek screeched.

"For scaring the shit out of me.  Now let's go" I said placing my hand on my hips.  Derek shook his head and we headed off.

My feet ached but I circled my shoulders and stretched my arms.   As much as this hike was hard I relished in the hard work towards possible freedom.

"There is some water in that direction we'll stop once we find it" Derek said I continued to follow him until we discovered a small stream.

He laid out the backpack and passed me a water.  "Use that and then fill it from the stream" he said.

I took some sips and sat on a nearby rock.   Derek pulled a small tent and sleeping bag from the backpack.  We worked together sorting the tent and then Derek gave us a banana and crackers each. 

"There is a limited amount of food.  We're not setting a fire it was alert someone.   Do you want the first watch?" He asked.

"Yes I'm not ready for sleep" he nodded and disappeared in the tent.  I found a spot with my back to a tree and the tent in sight as I sat back to accumulate to my surroundings.

It was chilly but I welcome the cool breeze keeping me alert. There was small sounds of woodland animals but noting to warn of big animals or humans.

After a couple of hours movement came from the tent Derek nodded. He disappeared behind a tree and I heard him relive himself. He came back around and pointed at tent.

I moved slowly and quietly to the tent. Taking off my jacket I curled under the sleeping bag and went to sleep quickly for a change.

I woke to the sounds of birds and a little bit of peace in my soul. I stretched and rolled up the sleeping bag. Pulling on my jacket I exited the tent.

Derek moved to me and passed me crackers half an apple. We ate in silence and then packed the tent and removed as much evidence as we could that we had been there.

We started walking again.  The scenery changed slightly as we walked but the blanket of trees was anything but warming.  We had one break before walking again and only stopped as dusk approached. 

After setting camp and erecting the tent Derek wanted to climb a tree to gauge our whereabouts.   After arguing for quite some time Derek agreed to let me climb.   I took my time but got very high.    Looking over the canopy there wasn't much to see.

To the east was mountain range and most everywhere else were trees.   I made my way down slowly and once I got to the bottom I relay my findings to Derek. 

He agreed we were far enough to build a fire.   We collected fire wood and Derek left me to build the fire as he went to hunt.   Once I had the fire going I found some stones for the edging and went to find more wood.