𝓢𝓬𝓮𝓷𝓮 𝟓𝟔

❈✱❉✤❈✱❉

Anakin's trepidation rose as he approached Obi-Wan, who stood alone in the center of the Council chamber, gazing out the window at the Coruscant city around them. Golden sunlight filtered into the room, casting Obi-Wan in a bright halo. 

Anakin halted at the doorway, lingering in the shadows, not wanting to disturb his former master. Sensing Anakin's presence, Obi-Wan turned around, and a small smile alighting on his face at the sight of his former Padawan. 

"Anakin," Obi-Wan greeted warmly, but Anakin noticed a tightness in his eyes and a heaviness in his shoulders that hadn't been there before their mission to save Palpatine-- or perhaps Anakin had simply not noticed before now. 

Anakin instantly went on guard. He strode forward into the light and offered Obi-Wan a friendly smile. "The Council wanted to see me?" 

Obi-Wan nodded as he folded his hands into the wide sleeves of his chestnut colored cloak. A solemn look replaced Obi-Wan's earlier smile, and his caramel colored eyes grew wary. "You missed the Council's report on the Outer Rim sieges," he commented, giving Anakin a curious look. 

Anakin dipped his head bashfully as he replied, "I was held up. I'm sorry." 

Obi-Wan studied his friend a moment longer before he said, "The Council has a job for you. They asked me to tell you about it personally." 

Anakin brightened as his head snapped up to Obi-Wan's face. The Council was entrusting him with a job? Anakin had only ever been given a solo job once or twice before, which was a rare occurrence. Usually, he was with Obi-Wan on missions. 

Anakin had the sense that the Council didn't trust him, especially Master Windu, because he had been brought into the Jedi Order at such an old age-- nine years old. Usually, Padawans enter the order at two or three years old. 

As a result of the Council's mistrust, there'd always been tension between them and Anakin, especially with Master Windu. And they almost never offered him solo mission. 

"What is it?" Anakin asked eagerly, face open with earnest. 

Obi-Wan hesitated, appearing conflicted, and he gave a heavy sigh before he murmured quietly, "The Council wants you to report on any of Chancellor Palpatine's dealings. They want to know what he's up to." 

Anakin's brow furrowed as disbelief coursed through him. Before he could think over his words, Anakin burst out, "They want me to spy on him? That's treason!" 

Obi-Wan gave a small wince and shifted his weight uncomfortably. "We are at war, Anakin," he reminded Anakin softly but firmly. "Relations between the Jedi Council and the Chancellor have become tense. Our duty is to uphold the principles of the Republic, even when the Chancellor does not." 

"Where is this coming from?" Anakin demanded heatedly. "What has the Chancellor done to warrant such tension and distrust?" 

It reminded him all too well of the Council's distrust of him, a distrust that was unwarranted. 

Obi-Wan gave Anakin a mildly exasperated look. "Anakin, Chancellor Palpatine has been increasing his power by granting himself emergency power throughout the Clone Wars, putting himself in charge over the Senate. He is becoming a dictator, and the Council fears he will not step down when the war is officially over." 

"Of course, Chancellor Palpatine will step down," Anakin defended his long-time friend. He released a shuddering breath in an attempt to bank his growing anger. "Obi-Wan, Chancellor Palpatine is not a bad man. He befriended me and watched out for me ever since I got here."