𝓢𝓬𝓮𝓷𝓮 𝟖𝟐

"𝑻𝒉𝒆𝒚'𝒗𝒆 𝒏𝒐 𝒊𝒅𝒆𝒂 𝒘𝒆'𝒓𝒆 𝒄𝒐𝒎𝒊𝒏𝒈. 𝑻𝒉𝒆𝒚'𝒗𝒆 𝒏𝒐 𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒔𝒐𝒏 𝒕𝒐 𝒆𝒙𝒑𝒆𝒄𝒕 𝒖𝒔. 𝑰𝒇 𝒘𝒆 𝒄𝒂𝒏 𝒎𝒂𝒌𝒆 𝒊𝒕 𝒕𝒐 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒈𝒓𝒐𝒖𝒏𝒅, 𝒘𝒆'𝒍𝒍 𝒕𝒂𝒌𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒏𝒆𝒙𝒕 𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒏𝒄𝒆, 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒏𝒆𝒙𝒕, 𝒐𝒏 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒐𝒏 𝒖𝒏𝒕𝒊𝒍 𝒘𝒆 𝒘𝒊𝒏, 𝒐𝒓 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒏𝒄𝒆𝒔 𝒂𝒓𝒆 𝒔𝒑𝒆𝒏𝒕." -- 𝑱𝒚𝒏 𝑬𝒓𝒔𝒐 𝒕𝒐 𝑹𝒐𝒈𝒖𝒆 𝑶𝒏𝒆

❈✱❉✤❈✱❉

Their boots thudded loudly on the metal floor of the hallway as the five of them marched towards the control center of the Resistance base on Yavin IV. Astrid walked beside Jyn as Cassian led the way, Îmwe and K2 just behind them.

When they entered the control center, they found a group of people huddled around the holoprojector at the center of the room. Among them were Mon Mothma and General Drevan. The others were members of the Alliance Cabinet, composed of the minister of finance, war, industry, education, state, supply, and the secretary of the Cabinet.

The Cabinet's discussion quieted at their entrance, and the group of people twisted around at the sound of their footsteps entering the room. Astrid sensed their apparent surprise in the Force at the sight of the five of them walking into the room.

Their surprise was explained when Mon Mothma spoke, clearly startled, "We thought you all were dead on Jedha."

When the five of them exchanged confused looks, General Drevan elaborated, "You never answered our signal when we tried to contact your ship. We heard of the Death Star's strike on Jedha, and we presumed you had perished in the aftermath."

"Was that why you attacked Eadu?" Jyn demanded as she stepped forward. "You presumed us dead, so you went to Eadu to complete Cassian's mission to kill Galen Erso, my father?" At the Cabinet's silence, Jyn's guess of their intentions of attacking Eadu was correct. Her mouth thinned as she seethed, "Well, you accomplished your mission alright. Galen Erso is dead, his readily available knowledge gone with him. Knowledge we could've used!"

"What do you mean?" General Drevan asked with a frown. "You got the information you needed from Saw Gerrera did you not?"

"We did," Jyn snarled. "But you could've saved a whole lot of trouble if you had kept my father alive. Now, we have to break into a high security Imperial base on Scarif to steal the Death Star's plans."

"Miss Erso, please, start from the beginning," Mon Mothma suggested gently as she took a step forward. "What do you mean we have to steal the Death Star's plans?"

Jyn lifted her head as she said, "My father purposefully engineered a flaw in the Death Star in the form of an exhaust port. If you strike the exhaust port, then you'll hit in the reactor core within the Death Star, and the entire station will explode."

There were murmurs of surprise and disbelief through the group, and Jyn continued mercilessly, her eyes trained on General Drevan, "But if you'd kept my father alive, then he could've told us the exact exhaust port to strike. Instead, we have to risk a mission to infiltrate the Imperial base on Scarif."

There was a moment of silence before a man draped in expensive silk spoke up, his eyes sweeping his fellow Cabinet members, "How can we trust the word of a criminal?" He waved a hand towards Jyn as he said, "She made it apparent at the start that she was not willing to help our cause. Perhaps she is tricking us now, working as a double agent for a bounty."