𝓢𝓬𝓮𝓷𝓮 𝟕𝟏

❈✱❉✤❈✱❉

Hera, it turned out, was an excellent pilot, so she now piloted the ship, which apparently had a name; the Ghost. Meanwhile, Commander Jun Sato manned the co-pilot's seat, and Matthew sat in one of the seats in the space behind the cockpit. Astrid didn't feel like sitting, so she stood leaned against the wall in the space behind the ship's cockpit, her thoughts lost in the past.

She wanted to visit her family in Scarif while she was there, just to check on them and make sure they were safe. Astrid could warn them not to cause the Empire any trouble.

Astrid could see her sister getting into trifles with the Empire, especially if the Empire was destroying a lot of the planet's valuable land to build their base. There were already so few pockets of islands on the planet, it would be a waste for the Empire to destroy it for a single building used for the sole purpose of information storage and collecting.

Astrid sensed a presence approaching her, and she lifted her gaze from the ground to find Hera walking towards her with a hesitate, but warm smile. Astrid returned her smile and remarked, "You're an excellent pilot."

Hera smiled bashfully and replied, "I'm sure you've seen better."

Astrid smiled, but didn't contradict her.

Anakin was hard to beat.

But perhaps Astrid wasn't being fair. She'd seen Anakin in action before, weaving and zipping between Star Destroyers and Separatist star fighters with expert ease. She hadn't seen Hera do the same yet. Astrid should withhold her judgement until then, so Astrid replied, "I'm sure you're a better pilot than you attribute yourself to."

Hera only gave her a wide grin. "It's all thanks to the Republic Clone Army that I decided to become a pilot. If the Republic hadn't saved my people on Ryloth in the Outer Rim from the Separatist droid armies, I likely would've stayed in Ryloth as a-- for lack of a better word-- non-pilot." She laughed quietly. "Not to mention, without the Republic Clone Army, my home planet would've been taken over by the Separatist, and my people would've been forced underground into hiding for years."

The fact that Hera could laugh while telling such a sad story, was evidence of the toughness and relentless positivity that Astrid was beginning to notice in the young woman.

Astrid's heart gave a painful lurch at the mention of the Republic and the Clone Army, and she wondered which Jedi from the Order had accompanied the clones to Ryloth. Had it been Obi-Wan, Anakin, Master Windu, perhaps even Master Yoda, himself?

Hera noticed Astrid's disquiet, and her smile dimmed. As if to change the subject, she asked gently, "You have family on Scarif?"

Astrid nodded. "Yeah. I'm hoping I will get the chance to see them so I can warn them of the Empire's threat."

Hera nodded in understanding. "Of course. I'm sure we can work that into our schedule." She gave a lopsided smile that Astrid automatically returned. Astrid found herself admiring Hera and her optimism.

A few hours later, the Ghost was descending through Scarif's balmy atmosphere towards the glittering, turquoise ocean dotted with island chains below. On the horizon, Astrid spotted an ominous, towering, dark metal structure that appeared to be three- fourths completed.