𝓢𝓬𝓮𝓷𝓮 𝟗𝟏

❈✱❉✤❈✱❉

As Astrid and Ahsoka stood in the hallway, a group of rebels passed them, and Astrid's heart went racing with fear and worry at what she overheard from them as they passed. 

"Once an Imperial officer, always an Imperial officer," one of them growled. "We can't trust him, even if he does promise to have valuable information." 

"Yeah!" the others agreed with enthusiasm before one of them added, "I say we kill him before he can even have the chance to betray us." 

Another rebel interjected with a jeer, "I say we convince those medics to speed up his death, eh? By all means, just cover his face with a pillow. Nobody would know. They could say he'd lost too much blood. Oh well." 

Astrid's face must've been stricken with horror at their words because she felt a hand on her shoulder before Ahsoka began leading her away down an adjacent hall, Artoo following close behind. 

"Don't listen to them," Ahsoka told her quietly. "Anakin will be safe as long as we're here."

Astrid pushed Ahsoka's hand off of her shoulder as she stopped walking. "If six rebels are thinking this, then no doubt more are thinking it, too," Astrid spoke, voice shaky with worry. "Ahsoka, I can't-- I have to go back to Anakin. He's not safe alone." 

"Astrid--" 

"No," Astrid cut her off sharply. "You go and try to convince the rebels to our cause, while I return to Anakin and watch over him. Make sure to stop any more mutterings about killing him."

Ahsoka must've seen the unrelenting look on Astrid's face and known it would be fruitless to argue because she sighed and said, "Fine. I'll try to quell the bloodthirst, but Artoo will no doubt want to go with you to see Anakin." She began backing away from Astrid as she added, "I'll see you in an hour, okay?" 

When Astrid nodded in confirmation, Ahsoka turned around and jogged away in the direction of the mess hall, where most of the rebels were likely to be congregated for lunch. Astrid didn't waste a moment before she hurried back the way she came, all thoughts and desires of sleeping in peace vanishing into the wind. Artoo easily kept pace behind her. 

Minutes later, she was back at the medical bay, and this time the doors slid open for her as she strode into the room. It appeared as if the medics were just finishing up because they were removing their gloves and stepping away from the bed upon which Anakin was laid out upon, his bare abdomen wrapped in white bandages. 

For a moment, Astrid thought the medics had failed, that Anakin was dead, and grief pierced her heart like an arrow before one of the medics said in a voice full of disapproval and mild loathing, "You are free to see your... Imperial officer now. He'll be asleep for a couple of hours," and Astrid realized with relief that he was okay. 

Astrid didn't glance at the medic who had spoken as she strode forward and stopped beside Anakin's bed. She surveyed the repair of his injury with a critical eye, trying to sniff out any deception that might have occurred from the medics, but his surgery seemed, well, perfectly done. 

With a weary sigh, Astrid pulled up a chair and folded her arms on the bed before resting her chin on her arms. The medical bay doors slid open and then closed as the medics exited the room, their job done for the day. 

Astrid straightened as she lifted a hand and-- after a moment's hesitation-- ran her fingers through his hair. Then, with a touch as gentle as a feather, she ran a finger down his cheek as if to make sure he was real, that he was actually in front of her, alive. 

Artoo gave a low beep from beside her. 

Satisfied that he was safe and healthy, Astrid folded her arms back on the bed and rested her head once more on her arms. As her blinks became longer and her eyes grew heavier, Astrid fought to stay awake to watch over Anakin. But eventually, her exhaustion won, and she slipped into a dreamless sleep.