Chapter Five • Thea's Tenth Birthday

March 24th, 2001

Thea's POV

It's been five years since I've been to hell and back. I couldn't quite remember what had happened that night, and for that I'm grateful. I may remember bits and pieces but for now I've chosen to not remember what really happened to me and my family.

Because for a matter of fact, I have a family now that loves me and cares for me. I will never Forget my actual family, but the people I've grown up with for the past five years are taking care of me, cherished me, and haven't forgotten who I am.

The one thing that does haunt me though. Is the man I see in my dreams, I couldn't remember his name but I knew he had hurt me. I remembered every day because when I look into The mirror that's all I see is the reminders of what he did to me.

I sat quietly in my room as I thought about that night. I rubbed my hands gently over some of the scars that still laid upon my skin and tried to forget for Once what had happened. Sometimes I feel anger that I can't remember exactly what did happen, and then I feel lucky that I don't remember. Because if I remember I don't think I'll be able to live with myself. I smiled remembering that today is a day for celebration. Today is my birthday, and even though I didn't have my sister with me I knew that every year was a blessing. I would celebrate not just her, but my mother and my father and count my blessings as I was still alive.

I may not have my original family with me. But I now have a family that I will cherish forever.  Firstly the person I now call my father, Zach Salvatore. My uncle Stefan and of course everybody else that I've come to know.

The last five years I've grown up  Meeting a tone of new people. If you told me five years ago, that I'd be here and meet such wonderful people then I tell you you're lying. But here I am with three wonderful best friends. They go by the names of Elena Gilbert, Bonnie Bennett and Caroline Forbes. It was an unlikely coincidence if I do say so myself. But never actually been to the Salvitore boardinghouse, but somehow I still met them.

I remember it clear as day. My father Zach take me out to Mystic Falls town Square. I was excited to get out and about, and explore the town for once in my life. That was when I met The three girls that were little bit younger than me. They sat playing in the town Square on the grass as their parents watch them early. I wanted so badly to say hello, but I was so scared at that point in time that I didn't know how to. It wasn't until Caroline Forbes, one and only got up off her arse and March to wait over to say hello.

"Hi there I'm Caroline what's your name" she was so happy and chirpy the first time I met her, and she hasn't really changed since.

And really since then with all been inseparable. I've even grown to know Bonnies father as my own, Carolines mother as my own, and Alayna's parents as my own. They all took me in with open arms, and made me feel right at home as if I was a child of the road. I guess that's what really friendship is about and since then we've all figured out who we are, what we are and what we want in life. Even if I have a couple secrets of my own I knew one day I'll be able to tell them.

But right now I sat quietly in my bedroom thinking about my thoughts and how dark sometimes that we get. But I knew I get through this, and I knew I'd have the best 10th birthday a girl could ever ask for. What are the most special people in my life, is uncle Stefan, And for the last five months he's been walkabout on the countryside trying to find out my family history.

Even though I knew what it was, the both of us didn't really know who I was. I knew bits and pieces like the curse that was put upon my family. But I didn't really know the history. I didn't know what our coven was, and what we were capable of. But Stefan has been a great help, he's been around the country trying to track down things for me so I could learn and harness the power that I knew was inside of me.