Chapter Sixteen • Portland

Thea's POV

I gasped for air as I shot up from my deep sleep. Looking around I realised I was in a car driving along a quiet country road and realised straight away where exactly we were.

"What? how'd we get here. This isn't happening, nope this isn't happening" I shut my eyes clutching my hands to tightly to the seatbelt. 

"Hmm I knew you'd react like this. Hence why I knocked you out" I hesitantly looked at Kai and swatted him across the arm. The car swerved and he cursed at me. 

"Really.. hitting the man that's driving. Uncool dora, uncool okay." I sighed looking at the road in front of us. Long and twisty in no time at all we stopped only twenty metres from the parkers home. I knew we'd only been a kilometre from my own. But it made everything inside of me go all gooey melted. 

"Why do you bring me here Kai.. you know I haven't been back since that night.. I..I d..d..d" I could feel a panic attack coming on on my breath hitched. 

"Dora?...Dora breath" I shook my head as my eyes shut closed again. 

"I..I..I can't this is to much Kai why did you do t..t..this to me" He arms pulled me into his chest and my body instantly relaxed. 

"Just breath will you... he isn't here.. no one is. He isn't going to hurt you okay" I took hollow breaths as Kai ran his hand threw my hair. "Like that one breath in. One breath out." We sat there for a couple of minutes not talking but taking in the scenery. "See it isn't that scary" 

"I guess not.. doesn't mean it don't have all those dark memories attached to it..Let's just not go to my house okay. Otherwise I will really just kill you" Kai laughed letting me go slowly. I got up out of the car and took in the parker home. 

'"I don't know if you realise but it's thanksgiving" Kai chirped happily as he followed beside me up to his home. 

"Really? I guess I've been so distracted that times just slipped away from me..." 

"Well it can do that to you in a prison world, and now since were here I'm gonna make you the best thanks giving ever.." I sighed rolling my eyes at Kai.

"Aren't we here to find magic to fix the ascendant." Kai didn't say anything but walked up the front porch steps and into the house. I tense a little seeing the place again. 

"Ahh the memories.. the little pitter patter of footsteps. The screaming of young children.. my favourite " I didn't know what to say to that. Kai sometimes had an alternative meaning behind what he said. I followed him in and sat down at the table in the kitchen. He looked around for supplies for dinner as silence filled the air. "You know it would be much better if you talked. Now that there is somebody here I would like to make a conversation... but I get it." I huffed in defeat as I laid my chin on my hand. 

"Just feel out of place okay.. wouldn't you" Kai laughed pulling out a chicken that was in the fridge. 

"Not turkey but it'll work, and no this is my home. I spent the first year here before I went off into the world and explored.." 

"How'd we even get here" Kai stopped hesitantly and looked up at me with an awkward smile.

"do you really want to know because I could totally tell you and make you freak out again" My eyes widened and I shook my head in panic. 

"Nope keep it to yourself. I'd rather not have another panic attack again today" Kai only smiled as he continued to prepare thanks giving. "I think I'm going to go for a walk okay" Kai shooed me off and I left without another word to him. I wondered outside onto the front lawn. Looking out at the rolling fields that surrounded the house I smiled at the good memories that I remember.