ix

"wait so filch's cat is dead and the chamber of secrets has been opened?"

draco nodded.

"what in the world is the chamber of secrets?"

"i don't know. i would've had you find out by talking to potter, but you were asleep like always."

"a girl needs her beauty sleep," maddy casually shrugged. "i'll go find them and find out for you, mr malfoy," she joked, standing up.

"you sure you're not just doing this so you can see granger?" draco smirked.

"you're a pain in the arse," maddy rolled her eyes, leaving the slytherin common room.

𓆉

"maddy," hermoine whispered to the sleeping girl.

"go away," she mumbled in response.

"i can't, we're in class," the granger girl responded as if it were obvious, causing the older girl to shoot up. hermoine and harry chuckled at maddy's actions. the only class she'll choose to sleep during was lockhart's.

draco made her sit with them for this class period because he wanted to know more about the chamber of secrets.

ron sighed as he sat down, and hermoine raised her hand.

"yes, miss granger?" professor mcgonagall acknowledged the girl.

"professor, i was wondering if you could tell us about the chamber of secrets," she asked, causing the slytherin duo to actually pay attention.

"my lesson is transfiguration, miss granger," the teacher's eyes widened.

"yes, professor, but there seems to be very little written about the chamber of secrets. for those of us with personal interest in the subject, that is disturbing."

"very well," minnie sighed. "you all know, of course, that hogwarts was founded over a thousand years ago by the four greatest witches and wizards of the age: godric gryffindor, helga hufflepuff, rowena ravenclaw, and salazar slytherin," she quickly glanced at maddy, which didn't go unnoticed by the trio next to the girl. "three of the founders co-existed quite harmoniously, one did not."

"three guesses who," ron leaned closer to harry. maddy tensed up. yes, salazar may have not been good, but he was still her ancestor.

"salazar slytherin wished to be more selective about the students admitted to hogwarts. he believed that magical learning should be kept within all-magic families. in other words, purebloods. unable to sway the others, he decided to leave the school. according to legend, slytherin had built a hidden chamber in this castle, known as the chamber of secrets. shortly before departing, he sealed it until that time when his own true heir returned to the school," another pause to quickly glance at maddy, to see how she was dealing with this newfound information. minnie knew maddy wasn't the heir. she saw right through her. madison taylor was just an innocent girl with a messed up family. she was the complete opposite of her relatives, and one day, she would prove it.

draco thought otherwise. in his defense, she was related to him somehow.

"the heir alone would be able to open the chamber of secrets and unleash the horror within, and by doing so, purge the school of all those who, in slytherin's view, were unworthy to study magic."

"muggleborns," hermoine spoke up, looking rather down. without thinking, maddy intertwined her fingers with the girl next to her, surprising not only herself, but hermoine as well. the granger girl sent her a small smile that made maddy's heart flutter.