xxxix

"d' you reckon it's true this year's going to be really tough? because of the exams?" harry suddenly changed the topic.

"oh yeah, bound to be, isn't it? o.w.l.s are really important, affect the jobs you can apply for and everything. we get career advice too, later this year. bill told me. so you can choose what n.e.w.t.s you want to do next year."

"d' you know what to do after hogwarts?" harry asked the four gryffindor's he was walking with to their history of magic class.

"not really. except-well-"

"what?"

"well, it'd be cool to be an auror," ron admitted.

"yeah, it would."

"but they're like, the elite. you've got to be really good. what about you, phoebe?"

"i think i want to help hagrid with the creatures and take his spot once he retires. hermione?" phoebe questioned the bright girl, knowing that maddy didn't really know what to do after they graduated.

"i don't know. i think i'd really like to do something worthwhile."

"an auror's worthwhile!" harry exclaimed.

"yes, it is, but it's not the only worthwhile thing. i mean, if i could take the s.p.e.w. further," hermione trailed off as everyone avoided eye contact with each other.

history of magic was by far the most boring subject at hogwarts, especially because of the voice that belonged to their ghost teacher, professor binns.

his wheezy, droning voice caused extreme drowsiness within the first ten minutes.

the only one who seemed to be able to survive his very long lectures was hermione, who only allowed her girlfriend to copy her notes.

perks of having someone head over heels for you.

"how would it be if i refused to lend you my notes this year?" hermione coldly told the boys after the class ended, annoyed at the fact that they spent the majority of the time playing hang man.

"we'd fail our o.w.l.s. if you want that on your conscience, hermione-"

"well you'd deserve it," she snapped, causing maddy to quickly interlace their hands. "you don't even try to listen to him, do you!"

"we do try. why don't you pick on maddy?"

"because she actually does try in other subjects!"

"so do we!"

"she has a busy schedule!" phoebe defended her sister.

"can we like, not argue about me?"

"well, we just haven't got your brains or your memory or your concentration-you're just cleverer than us-is it nice to rub it in?"

"oh, don't give me that rubbish," hermione spoke, looking a bit mollified.

a fine misty drizzle was falling, so that the people standing in huddles around the yard looked blurred around the edges.

after choosing a secluded corner and adjusting their robes to help them with the chilly september air, ron continued to argue about how maddy gets treated different.

phoebe got tired and mumbled a charm, literally shutting him up. when he finally agreed, she made sure no adult was around and reversed the charm, letting the red-head speak again.

the five talked about snape's lesson, which only maddy was excited for, and how difficult the professor would most likely make it.

"hello, harry!" cho chang's voice was heard, putting a halt to the conversation the gryffindor's were having.

"hi," harry replied, his face becoming hot.

"you got the stuff off, then?"

"yeah, so did you-er-have a good summer?"

maddy subconsciously snuggled closer to hermione, causing tingles to shoot throughout their bodies.

and also, well, heat.

"oh, it was alright, you know-"

"is that a tornadoes badge?" ron interrupted. "you don't support them, do you?"

"yeah, i do."

"have you always supported them, or just since they started winning the league?" the red-head accused the ravenclaw girl.

"i've supported them since i was six. anyway, see you, harry."

"you are so tactless!" hermione scolded ron once cho was far enough.

"is it me or is her name a bit-"

"racist?" phoebe finished off for her sister, the two softly giggling for some reason.

"so? she could've done. i wasn't stopping-"

"yeah you were," the brunette twins said in unison, joining in on the conversation.

"what on earth were you attacking her about her quidditch team for?"

"attacking? i wasn't attacking her, i was only-"

"who cares if she supports the tornadoes?"

"i'm so glad you two are here," harry mumbled to madison and phoebe.

"oh, come on, half the people you see wearing those badges only bought them last season-"

"but what does it matter?"

"it means they're not real fans, they're just jumping on the bandwagon-"

"mione."

"ronnie."

"that's the bell," harry informed, and he walked off with the twins, the bickering duo not far behind.

"hey, sev," maddy waved as the other fifth-years in that class filed into the dungeon.

"good holiday?" he questioned quietly, raising an eyebrow.

"it was quite marvelous," she answered, heading off to the table where her friends were seated.

"settle down," snape shut the door, not really having to say those two words seeing as the entire room had instantly quieted down as soon as they spotted the professor. "before we begin today's lesson, i think it is important to remind you that next june you will be sitting an important examination, during which you will prove how much you have learned about the composition and use of magical potions. moronic though some of this class undoubtedly are, i expect you to scrape an 'acceptable' in your o.w.l., or suffer my-displeasure."

snape's gaze lingered upon neville, who gulped.

"after this year, of course, many of you will cease studying with me. i take only the very best into my n.e.w.t. potions class, which means that some of us will certainly be saying good," his eyes rested on harry.

maddy noticed and decided to try to make her godfather smile, so she smacked harry. she felt accomplished when she saw snape quickly look away, knowing that he was trying his best to not smile.

"but we have another year to go before that happy moment of farewell, so whether you are intending to attempt n.e.w.t. or not, i advise all of you to concentrate your efforts upon maintaining the high pass level i have come to expect from my o.w.l. students. now, before we begin, i would to speak to the taylor's in private."

the others whispered to those around them as maddy and phoebe walked up to their potions professor.

"don't stress out about your exams and training. professor mcgonagall and i will be helping you study during sessions just in case, because apparently we want the best from our students. if you wish to not attend practices during the o.w.l., we understand. you can go back now," he waved the girls off.

word count-1124
date written- october 21, 2020