xi

"we don't even know this riddle person. he sounds like a dirty, rotten, snitch to me."

"the monster had killed someone, ron. what would any of us done?" harry stated his opinion.

"why don't we just ask hagrid," maddy groaned, wanting to walk away from the two boys.

"that'd be a cheerful visit! hello, hagrid, tell us, have you been setting anything mad and hairy loose in the castle lately?" ron sarcastically said.

"mad an' hairy," hagrid spoke, startling the four. "wouldn't be talkin bout me, would yeh?"

"no," harry, hermoine, and ron said at the same time.

"what's that you've got, hagrid?" harry asked, pointing to a bottle the man was carrying.

"flesh-eating slug repellent. for the mandrakes, you know. according to professor sprout, they still got a bit of growing up to do, but once their acne clears up, we'll be able to chop em up, stem em, and get those people in the hospital un-petrified. until then, you four best watch yourselves, all right?"

the four kids nodded and the giant walked off. they were about to do the same but a very frantic neville longbottom stopped them, causing maddy to whine and hermoine to shush her.

"harry, i don't know who did it, but-you'd better come."

harry, ron and hermoine ran after the boy, hermoine having to drag a very annoyed maddy. they ended up at the gryffindor house, where the slytherin had to wait outside.

moments later, hermoine ran out, grabbing maddy's hand and racing to library.

once they arrived, she looked for some specific book while maddy sat down at an empty table.

"what exactly are we doing here?"

"the boys dormitory was trashed. tom riddle's diary was gone."

"im still confused as to why we're here."

"i think i read something that could help us during my light reading," hermoine stopped reading to look up at the other girl, who was raising an eyebrow. "don't look at me like that," she muttered.

the bushy-haired girl began mumbling words and she pulled out a small mirror.

maddy was in her own world, not paying attention to anything going on.

hermoine suddenly gasped, and nothing else was heard.

"you see a ghost?" madison joked, before realizing that it could've actually been a possibility, so she frowned. when she didn't receive a response, she looked to right, where hermoine had become a statue. "bloody hell."

she stumbled out of her seat and looked around the room. she noticed some older girl with a similar mirror, so she threw the book hermoine was reading.

she sighed, then took a double-take, realizing that girl was also petrified.

maddy proceeded to grab some random book and throw it at the first person she saw, who freaked out at the statues and ran to get some help.

teachers arrived to the scene, where they took the stone girls to the medical wing.

"what happened?" professor mcgonagall asked maddy.

"i don't know," she mumbled, trying not to freak out.

"what do we do?" madam pomfrey exclaimed.

"we'll decide in a bit, for now, i have to go stop that quidditch game," mcgonagall quickly left.

not that long after, maddy heard footsteps and saw the professor come back with harry and ron.