lxxii

"wouldn't make any difference to her, she was so evil in the first place," harry shrugged, "we know everything important. we know they've stopped apparition in and out of the ministry. we know only the most senior ministry members are allowed to connect their homes to the floo network now, because maddy heard those unspeakables complaining about it. and we know roughly where umbridge's office is, because of what you heard that bearded bloke saying to his mate-"

"i'll be up on level one, dolores wants to see me," hermione recited.

"exactly, and we know you get in using those funny coins, or tokens, or whatever they are, because i saw that witch borrowing one from her friend-"

"but we haven't got any!"

"if the plan works, we will have," harry continued.

"i don't know, harry, i don't know--there are an awful load of things that could go wrong, so much relies on chance," phoebe sided with hermione.

"that'll be true even if we spend another three months preparing."

"what side are you on?" phoebe exclaimed.

"no sides. it's time to act," harry sent maddy a thankful look.

"alright, let's say we go for it tomorrow, i think it should just be me and harry."

"oh, don't start that again!"

"i thought we'd settled this!"

"and plus, i'm more powerful than the two of you combined," maddy shrugged.

"it's one thing hanging around the entrances under the cloak," ron began, ignoring the older girl's comment, "but this is different. hermione, you're on the list of muggleborns who didn't present themselves for interrogations!"

"and you're supposed to be dying of spattergroit at the burrow! if anyone shouldn't go, it's harry, he's got a ten thousand galleon price on his head-"

"fine, i'll stay here, let me know if you ever defeat voldemort, won't you?"

as the others laughed, pain shot out throughout maddy's body, starting with her arm. out of the corner of her eye, she noticed harry pretending to brush his hair out of his face.

"mads!"

"i'm fine," she quickly mumbled, taking a deep breath.

"maddy's not going," ron stated.

"if hermione is going then i am. she's on that list, i need to protect her-i know you can protect yourself, but i just can't leave your side now. we both need each other."

"alright then, if all five of us go, we'll have to disapparate separately. we can't all fit under the cloak anymore."

"maddy and i don't need the cloak," phoebe reminded.

harry's scar became more and more painful, as well as maddy's forearm, causing the both of them to shoot up.

"i have to go," they both stuttered out, rushing upstairs.

not that long later, hermione walked into the room maddy was in while ron and phoebe argued with harry.

they had a conversation that calmed the darker girl, and made their way back to the kitchen to discuss the plan to break into the ministry with the others.

𓆉

"you have the plan memorized, right?"

"yes, darling."

"recite it," hermione tilted her head.

"i'm not going to-"

"madison."