xxxii

"so did you guys figure out what happened to crouch?" maddy asked snape as she made random objects in the room fly around.

they had been training and working on non-verbal spells with no wand for about two hours, so they decided on taking a break.

"it would be none of your concern if we did, miss taylor," he softly smiled.

the promise he had made to her parents hadn't been as hard as he thought.

"but sev, you know i won't tell anyone," she sighed.

"i actually have something more important to inform you of."

"do i have another secret sibling?" the student joked, receiving an eye roll from the professor.

"no. i don't know if i am allowed to tell you this or not, but i'm your godfather."

"really?" maddy's face lit up with joy.

the two had grown close the past four years, so the taylor girl's reaction wasn't much of a surprise.,

"what about phoebe?"

"im her's too. your parents didn't feel like finding someone else worthy, and they were also quite annoyed with lucius."

"wait, my parents were friends with mister malfoy?"

"why yes. we were actually the best of friends."

"what were they like? my parents, i mean," maddy turned her attention from the flying objects to severus.

he thought about how to answer, but he honestly didn't know how.

"oh, the final task will begin soon. i suggest you go and wish mister potter luck," snape stood up, swishing his robes as he carefully left the room.

𓆉

"hey," the twins spoke in unison, getting adjusted in their spots next to hermione.

they had found each other in the common room, getting ready for the event since it was cold, so they just decided to head over there together.

since it was the last task, everyone came to watch. even sirius, who had to be in dog form.

for this final task, the quidditch field had been turned into a giant maze, which did bother some of the players a tad bit.

"earlier today, professor moody placed the tri-wizard cup deep within the maze. only he knows it's exact position. now, as mister diggory-"

dumbledore was interrupted by cheering.

"-and mister potter tied for first position, they will be the first to enter the maze, followed by mr krum-"

interrupted once again by applause.

"-the first person to touch the cup will be the winner. i've instructed the staff to patrol the perimeter, if at any point should a contestant wish to withdraw from the task, he or she will only need to send up red sparks with their wand. contestants, gather around."

the four did as told, and it seemed like dumbledore was telling them about something rather important.

when he was done, they all went to their own entrances, waiting for their turn to run in.

the headmaster count down to one, and the canon went off. cedric and harry said some words to each other and ran into the maze, initiating the final task.

hermione got comfortable and laid her head on maddy's shoulders. phoebe did the same but with ron.

about an hour later, cedric and harry were still not back.

viktor and fleur both withdrew after having struggled with some inconvenience.

out of no where, madison and phoebe started feeling random pain. they started to turn a lighter shade, which sirius spotted. he started barking as loud as he could, catching the attention of almost everyone around them.

when remus noticed what was wrong, he nudged arthur and the two rushed to the girls. ron and hermione had to move out of the way, and the weasley's comforted them.

the taylor twins were just about to faint as harry appeared up front, a very motionless cedric near him.

those who weren't busy with phoebe and maddy noticed cedric, beginning to tear up.

"stay with me," remus mumbled to the girls who started blinking less.

"come on," arthur groaned.

draco suddenly appeared after having pushed others out of the way. the adults tried to get him to leave but he wouldn't budge.

the last thing either girl heard was amos diggory screaming for his son.

𓆉

"looks like you two live here now," madam pomfrey chuckled.

"what happened?" maddy and phoebe asked in unison.

"you were getting drained of your power, somehow. it took a toll on you, but everything is fine. all the power came back," remus spoke up.

"it was more like channeling," arthur shrugged, patting maddy's bed.

"you girls should get some rest."

"what happened to cedric?"

"we lost him," remus quietly said. "we'll get you filled in when you wake."

"oh, and mister malfoy went to the bathroom," madam pomfrey informed, knowing how close maddy and draco were.

they truly had an unbreakable bond, and it was obvious.

𓆉

"oh, thank god you're okay," hermione let out a breath of relief, embracing maddy as she entered the great hall.

the powerful girl smiled and walked up to harry after hermione let go.

"im sorry," she mumbled, not really knowing what else to say as she glanced up to the picture of cedric up in front.

harry just hummed in response, laying his on the girl's shoulder.

"today we acknowledge a really terrible loss," dumbledore began, "cedric diggory was, as you all know, exceptionally hard working, intricately fair minded, and most importantly, a fierce fierce friend. i think therefore, you have the right to know exactly how he died. you see, cedric diggory was murdered by lord voldemort."

ignoring everyone's gasps, maddy intertwined her hand with harry, who gave her a grateful smile.

"the ministry of magic does not wish me to tell you this, but not to do so, i think, would be an insult to his memory. now, the pain we all feel at this dreadful loss reminds me-reminds me that while we may come from different places and speak in different tongues, our hearts beat as one. in light of recent events, the bonds of friendship we have made this year will be more important than ever. remember that, and cedric diggory will not have died in vain, you remember that, and we'll celebrate a boy who was kind and honest and brave and true right to the very end."

once the service had ended, harry dragged the taylor twins out of the great hall and away from everybody.

"i know it isn't a good time to say this, but i can't keep a secret from either of you. i-it's just-"

"just say it."

"your parents are alive."

word count- 1100
date written- october 10, 2020