xxxvii

"well, now that we are all digesting another magnificent feast, i beg a few moments of your attention for the usual start-of-term notices. first years ought to know that the forest in the grounds is out of bounds to students-and a few of our older students ought to know by now, too," the headmaster spoke, causing the golden trio to exchange smirks. maddy, however, just rolled her eyes. "mr filch, the caretaker, has asked me, for what he tells me is the four hundred and sixty-second time, to remind you all that magic is not permitted in corridors between classes, nor are a number of other things, all of which can be checked on the extensive list now fastened to mr filch's office door."

whack.

"what was that for?"

"you were falling asleep," hermione innocently smiled, looking back at the front.

"we have two changes in staffing this year. we are very pleased to welcome back professor grubbly-plank, who will be taking care of magical creatures lessons; we are also delighted to introduce professor umbridge, our new defense against the dark arts teacher. tryouts for the house quidditch teams will take place on-"

"hem hem," the pink lady interrupted.

dumbledore looked taken aback as he sat down. the other professors weren't afraid of showing their surprise, seeing as minnie's lips were as thin as ever and sprout's eyebrows had basically disappeared.

"thank you, headmaster, for those kind words of welcome. hem-"

"hem hem my-"

hermione stopped her girlfriend's mumbling by covering her mouth, not wanting to take any chances.

"well, it is lovely to be back at hogwarts, i must say!" umbridge smiled. "and to see such happy little faces looking back at me."

maddy quickly looked away, not wanting to be one of those faces and to search for a smile on any student's face. she didn't find any, which made her snort in amusement.

"i am very much looking forward to getting to know all of you, and i'm sure we'll be very good friends! hem hem. the ministry of magic had always considered the education of young witches and wizards to be of vial importance. the rare gifts of with which you were born may come to nothing if not nurtured and honed by careful instruction. the ancient skills unique to the wizarding community must be passed down through the generations lest we lose them forever. the treasure trove of magical knowledge amassed by our ancestors must be guarded, replenished, and polished by those who have been called to the noble profession of teaching."

umbridge paused to bow to the table of professors, who were all not enjoying this.

maddy and draco made eye contact somehow, and due to them being so bored, they started making funny faces at each other.

"hem hem, every headmaster and headmistress of hogwarts has brought something new to the weighty task of governing this historic school, and that is as it should be, for without progress there will be stagnation and decay. there again, progress for progress's sake must be discouraged, for our tried and tested traditions often require no tinkering. a balance, then, between old and new, between permanence and change, between tradition and innovation-"

maddy jumped as she started falling asleep, and she looked around the great hall to see the restlessness of everyone else.

there were very few people actually listening to the lady, one of them being hermione, so maddy being the person she is, she began to annoy her girlfriend.

"stop that," the bushy-haired girl scolded, swatting away maddy's hands.

"you're no fun," the taylor girl pouted, seeing hermione almost give in as she shook her head and looked back at umbridge.

"-because some changes will be for the better, while others will come, in the fullness of time, to be recognized as errors of judgement. meanwhile, some old habits will be retained, and rightly so, whereas others, outmoded and outworn, must be abandoned. let us move forward, then, into a new era of openness, effectiveness, and accountability, intent on preserving what's ought to be preserved, perfecting what needs to be perfected, and pruning wherever we find practices that ought to be prohibited."

"finally," maddy groaned as the pink lady sat back. the applause she received then caused the young witch to snort in amusement.

"thank you very much, professor umbridge, that was the most illuminating. now-as i was saying, quidditch tryouts will be held-"

"yes, it was certainly illuminating," hermione said in a low voice.

"you're not telling me you enjoyed it? that was about the dullest speech i've ever heard, and i grew up with percy."

"i can confirm this," the darker taylor mumbled.

"i said illuminating, not enjoyable. it explained a lot."

"did it?" harry asked in surprise. "sounded like a load of waffle to me."

"there was important stuff hidden in the waffle."

"i want a waffle now," maddy and phoebe said in unison.

"was there?" ron said blanky.

"how about 'progress for progress' sake must be discouraged'? how about 'pruning wherever we find practices that ought to be prohibited'?"

"well what does that mean?"

"i'll tell you what it means. it means the ministry is interfering at hogwarts," phoebe spoke up, and the two held eye contact for a couple moments before ron awkwardly cleared his throat.

"ron, we're supposed to show the first years where to go!" hermione suddenly jumped up at all the clatter going on around them.

"oh yeah-hey-hey, you lot! midgets!"

"ron!"

"well, they are, they're titchy."

"i know, but you can't call them midgets-first years! this way, please!"

a group of younger witches and wizards walked up to the group of fifth years, seeming to be something along the lines of petrified.

"we'll talk later," hermione mumbled, leaning in to quick maddy a quick kiss.

"pda," ron groaned. "see you later."

harry began to leave, so the twins followed him and attempted to make him feel better due to the whispers the three heard.

"what's the new password?" phoebe questioned as they arrived to the fat lady portrait.

"uh-"

"-er-"

"no password, no entrance."

"i know it!" neville's voice was heard. "guess what it is," the boy spoke, panting since he was jogging. "i'm actually going to be able to remember it for once. mimbulus mimbletonia."

"correct," the fat lady said, the portrait swinging open.

"goodnight," harry and neville waved at the two girls, who replied with the same word.

"hey girls," the red-headed twins chuckled.

"what are you two doing now?" phoebe raised an eyebrow.

"nothing!"

"same old, same old," george shrugged, glancing at the notice board.

"so glad i didn't have to spend the holiday with you two."

word count- 1125
date written- october 18, 2020