xxix

"look at this!" hermione scooted over as maddy arrived to the table.

"why are you late?"

"slept in,"phoebe answered, sitting down next to her sister.

"i'm starting to see how they're related," ginny groaned, sitting down too. "they had me waiting for like another hour!"

maddy was about to say something back when she noticed hermione was waiting for them to finish talking to continue.

"what were you saying?" the darker twin questioned, smiling at the granger girl, who smiled back.

"i can't believe she's done it again! 'miss granger, a plain but ambitious girl seems to be developing a taste for famous wizards. her latest prey sources report is none other than the bulgarian bon-bin viktor krum. no word yet on this harry potter's taking his latest emotional blow. miss granger was also seen holding hands with madison taylor. what a surprise!"

"is it really a surprise?" ron mumbled.

before either girl could reply, a boy walked up to them.

"parcel for you, mister weasley."

"thank you, nigel," the red-head thanked the boy who was now staring at harry.

ron started opening his mail, handing maddy an envelope that was meant for her.

"not now, nigel. later, go on."

the boy walked away and the group looked at ron confused.

"i told him that i'd get harry's autograph."

maddy hummed in response and opened her envelope, which had some money and two pieces of parchment paper. one was a permission slip for hogsmeade and the other was a note.

dear maddy,
i was just informed that you know about your twin sister, phoebe. we apologize for not telling you sooner. hagrid made us promise to keep it a secret. now, there's a special dance coming up, so as a sorry, here's some money for you, ginny and phoebe go dress shopping in hogsmeade, that is, if they let you. if they don't, let us know and we'll go looking for some ourselves.

love,
molly weasley <3
also yes, you are the older twin

as soon as she read that final line, she nudged phoebe and showed her it, sticking her tongue out in the process.

"ginny, this must be for you," ron spoke in disgust, catching the attention of the taylor twins.

"im not wearing that, it's ghastly."

hermione giggled behind her hand, causing the girl next to her to smile.

"they're not for ginny, they're for you! dress robes," the granger girl informed, making everyone around her burst out into laughter.

"dress robes? for what?"

the bell rang and people at their table started making their way to the room minnie and filch were located in.

"i think we're about to find out."

on one side sat the girls while the boys sat across from them. once everyone entered and got settled in, minnie began her speech.

"the yule ball has been a tradition of the tri-wizard tournament since it's inception. on christmas eve night, we and our guests gather in the great hall for well mannered frivolity. as the representatives of the host school, i expect each and every one of you to put your best foot forward, and i mean this literally because the yule ball is first and foremost, a dance."

the girls began squealing as the boys groaned. not all girls though. maddy rolled her eyes and looked at hermione, who was already looking at her.

"silence! the house of godric gryffindor has commanded the respect of the wizard world for nearly ten centuries. i will not have you in the course of a single evening besmirching that name by behaving like babbling, bumbling band of baboons. now, to dance is to let the body breathe, inside every girl is a secret swan slumbers longing to burst forth and take flight."

maddy noticed as ron whispered to the guys around him, smirking. she then proceeded to snort in amusement when she noticed minnie looking at them.

"inside every boy is a lordly lion prepared to prance. mister weasley, will you join me?"

let's just say maddy had something new to tease the boy about for the rest of the year.

𓆉

"i need your help!" draco ran up to maddy in the corridor.

"that's a new one," she joked.

"go to the ball with me. it'll make pansy jealous and it'll also help with you mud-hermione situation."

"how exactly would going to the dance with you help me out?" madison raised an eyebrow.

"i don't know. some people think we're together, so it could make her jealous. i also heard krum asked her."

"wait-krum asked her?"

"yeah," he paused, seeing her reaction. "im sorry," he pulled her into a hug, scaring off everyone who looked at him.

"im fine," she smiled before taking a deep breath. "i'll go with you. now take me to the great hall. apparently ron wants me there so snape doesn't torture him."

the two proceeded to walk where she said, talking about the most random things like they usually did whenever they were together.

"-we'll be the only ones in our year without a date," ron spoke as snape passed by and smacked him with a newspaper. the interaction made maddy giggle, which caught the professor's attention

"ah, miss taylor, why exactly are you here?"

"why exactly wasn't she?" harry questioned, ignoring snape's glare.

"she was quite busy with professor mcgonagall," he replied, referring to the training he couldn't attend to, so he had mcgonagall fill in for him. it was a tad bit harder for her since she also had to train phoebe and the two were currently at different levels. "but you are welcome to join us for a some time, just don't make much noise."

"thanks, sev," she smiled. the eyes of everyone around her widened at the nickname, preparing for her to get yelled at, but nothing happen. professor snape just nodded and walked away.

"anyways, us and neville," ron mumbled again.

"but then again, he can take himself."

a piece of paper suddenly flew at them and ron read it.

"get a move on or all the good ones will be gone."

the weasley boys shared a whole other interaction, which maddy ignored because she was too busy bothering hermione.

whack.

"well, hermione, you're a girl," ron leaned towards her, interrupting the little moment between the two girls.

"well spotted!"

"come on. it's one thing for a bloke to show up alone, for a girl it's just sad."

"i won't be going alone because believe or not someone's already asked me!" hermione scoffed, handing her work to snape and collecting her stuff. "and i said yes!"

maddy slightly frowned as the granger girl scurried off, leaving the great hall.

"bloody hall."

"did you finally ask her out?" harry asked.

"no. krum did."

"we'll do you have a partner?" harry went on to ask another question.

"yeah."

"who?"

"draco. we're going as friends though. people disgust me," she sort of lied, hiding the sadness in her voice. she stood up and left the great hall to comfort hermione.

word count- 1179
date written- october 8, 2020