xliii

"everyone here?" professor grubbly-plank asked as the fifth-year gryffindors and slytherins trudged up to her. "let's crack on then-who can tell me what these things are called?"

she indicated the heap of wings in front of her, and hermione's hand shot up.

draco went to mock her, but he noticed maddy's mood, so he stopped and made a mental note to talk to his friend later.

the twigs on the table leapt up into the air and revealed themselves to be what looked like tiny pixieish creatures made of wood, each with wobbly brown arms and legs, two twig like fingers at the end of each hand, and a funny, flat, barklike in which a pair of beetle brown eyes glittered.

"oh!" parvati and lavender muttered, automatically irritating others.

"kindly keep your voices down, girls!" the professor said, feeding the creatures. "so, anyone know the name of these creatures? miss granger?"

"bowtruckles. they're tree guardians, usually live in wand trees."

"five points to gryffindor. yes, these are bowtruckles and, as miss granger rightly says, they generally live in trees whose wood is of wand quality. anybody know what they eat?"

"wood lice," phoebe beat hermione to answering. "but fairy eggs if they can get them."

"another five points to gryffindor. so whenever you need leaves or wood from a tree in which a bowtruckle lodges, it is wise to have a gift of wood lice ready to distract or placate it. they may not look dangerous, but if angered they will gouge out human eyes with their fingers-"

"how lovely."

whack.

"-which, as you can see, are very sharp and not at all desirable near the eyeballs. so, if you'd like to gather closer, take a few wood lice and a bowtruckle-i have enough here for one between three-you can study them more closely. i want a sketch from each of you with all the body parts labeled by the end of the lesson."

"taylor!" draco called out after walking away from harry, causing the brunette twins to both turn around. "right, m, i need to talk to you."

"what's up?" maddy mumbled as she stood up and landed at his side.

"did something happen this past week? you seem-off."

before maddy could respond, the blonde held a finger up and started talking about hagrid.

"ouch!" harry exclaimed, blood stained picture as the small creature scurried off into the forest.

the bell could be heard, so draco grabbed maddy's arm and dragged her away from the rest of the students.

"well?"

"there's-uh-there's this prophecy, where i'm supposed to help him defeat and take over the wizarding world."

"him?" draco raised an eyebrow, slightly confused.

"v-voldemort."

"oh," draco faltered for a moment. he looked around the two and when he spotted no one, he wrapped his arms around maddy. "i know you. you'll prove that bloody prophecy wrong. you fight for what you believe in, and that's why i admire you. i wish i could do what you do."

"but you can-"

"no, you know my father."

"and i know you!"

"now's not the time," draco spat out.

"will there ever be a right time?" maddy's voice slightly became louder.