lxxxi

one day in march, everyone was doing their own thing when ron shouted excitedly.

"i've got it! i've got it! password was 'albus'! get in here, harry!"

the other four hurried to his side, kneeling in front of the radio.

"-apologize for our temporary absence from the airwaves, which was due to a number of house calls in our area by those charming death-eaters."

"but that's lee jordan!"

"i know! cool, eh?"

"-now found ourselves another secure location, and i'm pleased to tell you that two of our regular contributors have joined me here this evening. evening, boys!"

"hi."

"evening, river."

"river, that's lee. they've all got code names, but you can usually tell-"

"shh!" hermione shushed ron.

"but before we hear from royal and romulus, let's take a moment to report those deaths that the wizarding wireless network news and the daily prophet don't think important enough to mention. it is with great regret that we inform our listeners of the murders of the murders of ted tonks and dirk cresswell."

the golden trio discreetly glanced at the twins, who both had different reactions.

phoebe sighed, sending a small smile in their direction while maddy just froze.

"a goblin by the name of gornuk was also killed. it is believed that muggle-born dean thomas and a second goblin, both believed to be traveling with tonks, cresswell and gornuk, may have escaped. if dean is listening, or if anyone has any knowledge of his whereabouts, his parents and sisters are desperate for news.

"meanwhile, in gaddley, a muggle family of five has been found dead in their home. muggle authorities are attributing the deaths to a gas leak, but members of the order of the phoenix inform me that it was the killing curse--more evidence, as if it were needed, of the fact that muggle slaughter is becoming little more than a recreational sport under the new regime.

"finally, we regret to inform our listeners that the remains of bathilda bagshot have been discovered in godric's hollow. the evidence is that she died several months ago. the order of the phoenix informs us that her body showed unmistakable signs of injuries inflicted by dark magic.

"listeners, i'd like to invite you now to join us in a minute's silence in memory of ted tonks, dirk cresswell, bathilda bagshot, gornuk and the unnamed, but no less regretted, muggles murdered by death-eaters."

silence fell, and none of them spoke a word.

"thank you," lee spoke, "and now we return to regular contributor, royal, for an update on how the new wizarding order is affecting the muggle world."

"thanks, river," a deep voice said.

"kingsley!" ron burst out.

"we know!" hermione hushed him once more.

"muggles remain ignorant of the source of their suffering as they continue to sustain heavy casualties. however, we continue to hear truly inspirational stories of wizards and witches risking their own safety to protect muggle friends and neighbors, often without the muggles' knowledge. i'd like to appeal to all our listeners to emulate their example, perhaps by casting a protective charm over any muggle dwellings in your street. many lives could be saved if such simple measures are taken."

"and what would you say, royal, to those listeners who reply that in these dangerous times, it should be 'wizards first'?"

"i'd say that it's one short step from 'wizards first' to 'purebloods first', and then to 'death eaters'. we're all human, aren't we? every human life is worth the same, and worth saving."