xlix

"draco lucius malfoy!" maddy's voice was heard throughout the slytherin common room, causing the others to run out of it.

"y-yes?" draco stuttered out, slightly frightened.

"what happened during the quidditch game? the twins and harry are banned from playing now!"

"oh? t-that? you know, just the usual teasing."

"apologize."

"no."

"draco."

"no."

"lucius."

"no."

"malf-"

"fine!"

"you're better than this," was the last thing maddy muttered before leaving and heading up to the gryffindor common room, where angelina was freaking out.

"no seeker and no beaters—what on earth are we going to do?"

"i'll try out for seeker," maddy made everyone jump.

"are you even any good?" another one of the players spoke up.

"with a little practice, i can be," the powerful witch responded as she sat down on the armchair of the seat hermione was at.

"you already have too much on your plate, doll," the bushy-haired girl whispered.

"i know, but i'm the only one who keeps draco in check around here. i feel-"

"none of this is your fault," phoebe joined in, overhearing the conversation. "nothing new to expect from the slytherins. no offense, though."

"she's right. you're not in charge of malfoy or his actions."

"i'm still going to try out. it's worth a shot, and snape said my training should be coming to an end this year."

"this year?" hermione raised an eyebrow.

"we've been practicing almost everyday for hours for the last four years."

their conversation was interrupted when everyone began going upstairs to their dormitory, except for harry.

"have any of you seen ron?" hermione said in a low voice.

"i think he's avoiding us," phoebe shrugged.

"where do you think he-"

as if on cue, there was a creaking sound behind them as the fat lady portrait swung open, revealing ronald weasley.

"where have you been?" phoebe sprung up, going to get a blanket then flicking the snow out of his hair.

"walking."

"you look frozen. come and sit down."

the red-head sat in the chair farthest from harry before speaking up.

"i'm sorry," ron kept his eyes on his feet.

"what for?"

"for thinking i can play quidditch. i'm going to resign first thing tomorrow."

"if you resign, there'll only be three players on the team. four if angelina lets maddy in," harry informed, but continued after seeing ron's confused face. "i've been given a lifetime ban. so've fred and george."

"what?" ron yelped.

hermione and phoebe told the boy the whole story while maddy annoyed harry with michelangelo.