xxvi

"so did like no one get a haircut this summer or-"

"right?" phoebe spoke up.

the golden trio were on their defense against darks arts class, along with the taylor siblings.

once they got to the classroom, they took their seats.

of course, hermione and maddy sat next together.

their professor walked up to a board and wrote down his name.

"ministry malcontent, and your new defense against the dark arts teacher. im here because dumbledore asked me, end of story, goodbye, the end. any questions?"

madison quickly put her hand up but hermione pushed it down, knowing she was going to say something dumb. it didn't even matter because moody instantly started talking again.

"when it comes to the dark arts, i believe in a practical approach. but first, which of you can tell me how many unforgivable curses there are?"

"three," maddy mumbled loud enough, receiving a proud look from hermione, who was about to answer their professor's question.

"and they are so named?"

"they're unforgivable, so use any of them and you will-"

"earn you a one-way ticket to azkaban," moody finished off, going back to writing on the board.

madison flipped off the professor since he couldn't see, causing some of the students who saw to chuckle at her actions. hermione wasn't one of them. instead, she rolled her eyes, biting back a smile as she softly hit the girl.

"now, the ministry says you're too young to see what these curses do. i say different! you need to know what you're up against. you need to be prepared. you need to find somewhere else to put your chewing gum other than the underside of your desk, mr finnigan!"

"awh no way, the old codger can see out of the back of his head," seamus muttered to dean.

moody turned around and threw the chalk at the boy, making maddy snort in amusement. sadly, seamus dodged it in time.

"and hear across the room!"

moody continued his lesson as the gryffindor scoffed.

"so, which curse shall we see first? weasley!"

"uh oh," madison groaned.

"well, my dad tell me about one. the imperious curse," ron nervously spoke.

"ah yes, your father would know all about that. gave the ministry quite a bit of grief for a few years ago. perhaps this will show you why."

he proceeded to open a jar and revealed spider, causing ron to squeak.

"don't tell me-"

phoebe was interrupted when moody used the spell on the animal, sending it flying around and landing it on people's faces.

"place that damn spider anywhere near my face and i assure you you will regret it," maddy warned, scaring the majority of people in the room, including moody.

the professor knew her real power, unlike the others in the room, or so he thought.

he wasn't aware of the bond between her and the granger girl.

or the malfoy boy.

"scores of witches and wizards have claimed that they only do did-you-know-whose bidding under the influence of the imperious curse," he began after shuddering off the brunette's comment. "but here's the rub, how do we sort out the liars? another one, come on. longbottom, is it?"

"there's the uhm-cruciatus curse," the addressed boy stuttered out.

moody led neville to the front and made the boy watch him torture the spider. the young gryffindor turned pale, so he closed his eyes as he started shaking.

"stop it! can't you see it's bothering him, stop it!"

to everyone's surprise, maddy stood up, grabbed neville, and dragged the crying boy out of the room.

she pushed him out the door and turned around, facing professor moody, who was slightly scared.

boy, if looks could kill.

as maddy was going to open her mouth, she spotted hermione in the corner of her eye. the granger girl was basically begging her friend to keep her mouth shut.

she looked at draco, who was smirking. everyone was looking at her.

the young powerful witch took a deep breath, calming herself and left the room, taking neville to the gryffindor common room.

"thank you," he choked out in a whisper.

"uh huh," she hummed out. "just let me know if he tries anything like that again.

"do you want to be friends?" he cut her off.

she narrowed her eyes at his question before looking around them.

"sure, i don't see why not. just don't hug me."

a smile appeared on his face and before maddy knew it, his arms wrapped around her small figure.

instead of pushing him away, she playfully rolled her eyes and hugged him after making sure no one was around.

and in this moment, another friendship entered maddy's life.

another bond that would keep her from becoming what she was supposed to.

𓆉

"well lads and ladies, we've finally done it!"

"cooked it up this morning."

"i actually did the majority of the work," maddy raised a finger, receiving a look from the weasley twins.

"it's not going to work," hermione spoke up.

"are you doubting your girlfriend's work?" george teased, making both girls go red.

"oh yeah, and why's that, granger?" fred ignored his brother's comment.

"you see this," she pointed to the mark on the ground. "this is an age line. dumbledore drew it himself."

"so?"

"so, a genius like dumbledore couldn't possibly be fooled by something pathetically dimwitted such as an age potion."

"i take offense to that," maddy gasped, placing her right hand on her heart.

hermione rolled her eyes and turned her attention back to the twins, hiding her smile.

fred and george linked their arms, muttering some things before chugging the potion and jumping the line.

cheers erupted around the room as they wrote down their names and placed the parchment into the goblet.

after a few seconds, the twins were hit by sparks and flew across the room, turning into old men.

the taylor girl pouted as hermione held out her hand.

"what? do you want a high five or something?"

"money. i won the argument."

"you're funny if you think i have money," maddy snorted, causing the granger girl to burst out into a fit of giggles.

the older girl smiled at the bushy-haired girl, admiring her. when hermione noticed, she smiled back.

sadly, their little moment was interrupted when the room suddenly went quiet. they looked up to see none other than viktor krum walk in with the headmaster and others from durmstrang.

after placing his name in the goblet, he looked at hermione.

madison felt a slight pang chest and her whole demeanor changed.

she was jealous.

jealous of viktor krum.

word count- 1111
date written- october 7, 2020