lxi

it had been a few days since new year's, and maddy was currently waiting for draco in the room of requirement, so she was just laying on the floor, waving her wand around.

she spent the holidays with the malfoy's ( it was the first time she celebrated anything with someone other than the weasley's ) and the nott's, zabini's and greengrass' had come over the day of.

"wasn't your patronus a dragon?" draco brought her out of her thoughts, and she sprung up when she realized the charm she had mumbled didn't produce the usual baby dragon.

otters.

it produced otters.

"uh-what's your patronus?" maddy quickly changed the subject.

"it changed," the blonde sighed, talking about hers. "what's wrong with it?"

"hermione has the same one," she said quietly.

draco made a face of acknowledgment before plopping down on the floor next to her, taking out his wand and performing the charm.

after a couple tries, he achieved it and transparent moose began flying around the room, instantly bringing a smile to maddy's face.

"your patronus is my favorite animal?"

"i'm not surprised," draco shrugged, jumping up and patting dust off his pants, "come on, let's get some more work done."

𓆉

"late again, potter," snape said as harry walked in. "ten points from gryffindor-before we start, i want your dementor essays," he waved his hand so that all the rolled up pieces of parchment landed in a neat pile on his desk, "and i hope for your sakes they are better than the tripe i had to endure on resisting the imperius curse. now, if you will all open your books to page-what is it, mister finnigan?"

"sir, i've been wondering, how do you tell the difference between an inferius and a ghost? because there was something in the paper about an inferius-"

"no, there wasn't."

"but sir, i heard people talking-"

"if you had actually read the article in question, mister finnigan, you would have known that the so-called inferius was nothing but a smelly sneak thief by the name of mundungus fletcher."

"do you have food?" blaise mumbled, switching his glance from their professor to maddy.

before she could answer, snape opened his mouth once more.

"but potter seems to have a lot to say on the subject-let us ask potter how we would tell the difference between an inferius and a ghost."

"er-well-ghosts are transparent-"

"oh, very good," snape interrupted, his lip curling, "yes, it is easy to see that nearly six years of magical education have not been wasted on you, potter. 'ghosts are transparent.'"

pansy let out a high pitched giggle, causing everyone to slightly glance at maddy, who took a deep breath.

"it's like you want me to hit you with this book," the taylor girl sarcastically smiled, lifting up her book and preparing to swing.

draco quickly interfered, telling pansy to be quiet while daphne took the book out of maddy's hands.

"down girl," theo snapped, a smile growing on his face due to all the snickering being heard.

"yeah, ghosts are transparent," harry cleared his throat, noticing how hermione was staring at the gryffindor sitting at the slytherin table, "but inferi are dead bodies, aren't they? so they'd be solid-"