lxxiv

"wake up," hermione whispered, softly shaking her unconscious girlfriend.

maddy began rapidly blinking, coughing every couple moments while she tried to catch her breath.

"what's happened to him?" harry questioned.

"splinched," phoebe mumbled, her fingers already busy at ron's sleeve.

"i'm here," hermione wrapped her arms around maddy, who was back to her old self, but seemed to be having a panic attack.

harry slid towards them, but the bushy-haired witch gestured over to phoebe, who started breathing heavily.

harry helped phoebe fix up ron while hermione calmed down the older twin.

"why are we here? i thought we were going back to grimmauld place?" harry caught the couple's attention.

"harry, i don't think we're going to be able to go back there," hermione looked close to tears, causing maddy to sit up straight-

well, she couldn't really sit up 'straight', could she?

"what'd you-"

"as we disapparated, yaxley caught hold of me, and i couldn't get rid of him, he was too strong, and he was still holding on when we arrived at grimmauld place, and then--well, i think he must've seen the door, and thought we were stopping there, so he slackened his grip and i managed to shake him off and i brought us here instead," phoebe informed them.

"but then, where's he? hang on, you don't mean he's at grimmauld place? he can't get in there."

"harry, i think he can. i forced him to let go with a revulsion jinx, but i'd already taken him inside the fidelius charm's protection. since dumbledore died, we're secret keepers, so i've given him the secret, haven't i?"

"i'm so sorry-"

"don't be," maddy spoke up.

"it wasn't your fault. if anything, it was mine," he paused, reaching for his pocket and pulling out mad-eye's eye, "umbridge had stuck it to her office door, to spy on people. i couldn't leave it there, but that's how they knew there were intruders."

before phoebe could answer, ron groaned and opened his eyes.

"how d' you feel?" she mumbled.

"lousy. where are we?"

"in the woods where they held the quidditch world cup," hermione looked around, sighing.

"i wanted to somewhere enclosed, undercover, and this was-"

"-the first place you thought of," harry finished off for her.

"yeah, i was actually here," phoebe chuckled.

"d' you reckon we should move on?" ron asked harry after a couple of moments.

"i dunno."

the others acknowledged the state the red-head was in and all silently agreed.

"let's stay here for now."

"where are you going?" ron raised an eyebrow in phoebe and hermione's direction, due to them springing up to their feet.

"if we're staying, we should put some protective enchantments around the place."

maddy jumped to her feet and reached for hermione's bag, dropping it once she got out the tent.

she tossed the lumpy mass of canvas, rope and poles in the air once she found a good spot and waved her hand, causing the tent to fully construct itself and land.